• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

psychiatric diagnoses are scientifically worthless as tools to identify discrete mental health disorders.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

The main findings of the research were:

Psychiatric diagnoses all use different decision-making rules
There is a huge amount of overlap in symptoms between diagnoses
Almost all diagnoses mask the role of trauma and adverse events
Diagnoses tell us little about the individual patient and what treatment they need
The authors conclude that diagnostic labelling represents 'a disingenuous categorical system'.

Lead researcher Dr Kate Allsopp, University of Liverpool, said: "Although diagnostic labels create the illusion of an explanation they are scientifically meaningless and can create stigma and prejudice. I hope these findings will encourage mental health professionals to think beyond diagnoses and consider other explanations of mental distress, such as trauma and other adverse life experiences."[Quote/]

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190708131152.htm

I always said: psych is not really the same as mathematics

BrightCandle

There has been a consistent theme with Physchology and physciatry, every time it is tested they can't pin down consistent diagnosis and the treatments don't work. I am fairly certain that given time this aspect of medicine will fall away completely but in the meantime it is a constant slowing effect on progress in finding the real underlying conditions of patients.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

There has been a consistent theme with Physchology and physciatry, every time it is tested they can't pin down consistent diagnosis and the treatments don't work. I am fairly certain that given time this aspect of medicine will fall away completely but in the meantime it is a constant slowing effect on progress in finding the real underlying conditions of patients.
It's well known that the efficiency of a therapy depends on a good relationship between the therapist and the patient. No math. But for psych illnesses of course important to have

Last edited: