• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

psych ward stay :( and findings

sleepy237

I put myself through severe stress with no outcome except I have to take tranquilisers to keep calm but no help for cfs, I did find out that I had protein in urine with no follow up and that my blood pressure drops to 60/40 upon standing, with no advice given. apart from that, was a bad move on my behalf thinking that I could be helped in some way, instead I nearly killed myself on sheer stress alone feel like an idiot.. Idk the answer any more, keep going keeping going i guess. hope youre all okay xxx

CBS

Hi Sleepy,

So sorry to hear that you didn't get more for all of your troubles. I think one of the hardest aspects of this disease is "letting go." So many of us had huge dreams, enormous potential, and exciting lives. It's often hard to accept that I need to slow down and adjust my daily routine to whatever level is sustainable (often ridiculously low levels - aim low!). I've also found that it's important for me to be kind to myself when I fall short of my hopes and expectations (which is something I do repeatedly).

Shane

Hope123

If people have not suggested it, you should consider looking into OI/POTS, where people with CFS have their blood pressure dropped on upright position, sitting or standing. You can share this with your doc but even if they are not responsive, there are some things you can do on your own to decrease blood pressure drops:

http://www.cfids.org/webinar/cfsinfo2010.pdf

You might also want to ask your docs if the tranquilizers you were given have any effect on blood pressure as some lower blood pressure.

60/40 is not good.......this is considered low and concerning in general, CFS or not.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
No doctors would help you with your problems? Can you find a good doctor that can help? You can do many things to help your OI if that is what is wrong. For now, drink lots of good water and stand up slowly of course. Sleeping with your head up on a couple of pillows is good and wake up and get up slowly in the morning. A good doctor is needed and I hope you find one.

caledonia

I believe protein in urine is a sign of kidney problems. The low blood pressure on standing can be helped with Florinef I think it's called. Or in lieu of that, salt water - anything to raise blood pressure and blood volume.

I could see where psychiatrists wouldn't deal with these problems, but a regular doc ought to.

Sleepy, don't beat yourself up. Those lab findings are the silver lining to your bad experience. Please get both conditions treated if you can.

SOC

What exactly is the reasoning for tranquilisers vs regular antidepressants?

Tranquilisers will keep you calm and quiet and they won't have to listen to you whine and complain about your fake illness. Antidepressants might actually make you less depressed about your situation and more active about getting care. ;) Sorry, I couldn't help it. :D

sleepy237

true story .....stopped tranquiliser and wonder WHY I am put on a pill that LOWERS blood pressure :( I HATE THIS

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Sleepy, im so sorry yOU didnt have a goodexperience. Just wondering if your anxiety levels are more under control now? i remember you saying that was why you were going in to the psych unit in the first place. Can you take these findings to yourGP?

Sending you my best wishes and hugs. xx
p.s i know it doesnt help but i have also had very bad anxiety with my M.E and a crap lot of doctors -cant get any help at all - good old UK!

helen41

There is such a range of meds called "tranqulizers". Broadly, ones ending in "zine" can be brutal on blood pressure, but some people have no trouble at all. They actually are old generation antipsychotics, but are often used to help people sleep because they aren't addictive. The ones ending in "pam" or "lam" are benzodiazepines and are used to help control anxiety and also sometimes sleep. The downside to them is that people become dependant.

I am a psych nurse, and must admit, was a bit worried about you when I heard you were being admitted, hoping your CFS Dr would set some parameters. Often the focus of a psych ward is to help people get activated and that goes against what we know about CFS. That being said, it might well be that your Dr wanted to try a slightly riskier medication (side effect wise) to see if you would get a benefit, and wanted you in a safe place when you took it. If so, kudos to your Dr for thinking outside the box.

I'm with Justy, sorry it didn't work out better, and hoping you are feeling some relief now.

sleepy237

I am still very anxious and dont need anxiety on top of this horrid illness. I am bitter at the moment. Sad but true. I watched the Dr Rowe youtube on Orthostatic Intolerance and I have hypermobility syndrome too and I read that this can lead to dysautonomias and OI so if I can put that together from you giving me a link and hitting up a web page why are all the doctors not able to do the same between them? Of course my PTSD is going to play a part in this. It never affected me until the onset of all the symptoms and has led me to feel traumatised because I feel helpless. I don't know what to do anymore, I am between banging head off brick wall and lying down giving in to it all. My anxiety wont decrease until they treat the medical side that I know exists instead of fobbing it all onto anxiety because it is not justified and the fight goes on, to get acknowledgement that it is MEDICAL at least in part, once the PTSD symptoms got bigger of course it makes it worse not better.
Thank you all for your replies and hugs
Hugs for you too
If only there was one pill for all these symptoms.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
So sorry sleepy that your anxiety is still so unmaneagable. My anxiety is more under control now, and even though i know it has a phsiological basis in my M.E i also needed to get the levels down. I used traditional methods such as occasional valium use, meditation (practised daily) relaxation tapes (daily ) i also joined an organisation called No Panic that offer free telephone recovery groups, which i went on and it really helped. I have also developed agoraphobia as a result of this illness, but have decided not to try and address that until i feel physically a bit better.

I found once i had got my anxiety down to manageable lebvels i became very very tired, from all the high adrenaline pumping. It was also really important for me to follow a really good eating and diet plan to support my body. Magnesium is higely depleted by high adrenaline levels, so i take a good quality high strenght magnesium. Also high vit c and B12. I eat a higher protein diet than i used to and adressed issues of hypoglycaemia -also linked with anxiety.

I went down the route of taking an SSRI, but had a horrendous reaction to it which triggered my anxiety even more. With all these things in place it has taken me nearly a year to stabilise, but i realise now that i could not properly rest or sleep until the anxiety was under some kind of control. I also lost 2 stone in the first few months anfd have now regained weight.
I am not asaying your situation is the same as mine, but am hoping that something i am saying will help. I have had to give up entirely of expecting the medical proffession to help me in this country and through the help of places such as this website am on the road to finding my own healing.
Hugs again Justy. xx

sleepy237

helen you are right they dont do good with blood pressure i ended up halfing a minimum dose pill and taking it twice a day but i read that THIS PILL shouldnt be used with autonomic instability its called quetiapine and 25mg the minimum dose stuffs up my nose gives me tachychardia then i tried another sensitive to that too but they dont want to give the barbiturates out cos of addiction but really im 39 nothin can be worse than this and i d rather have a drug dependency than this LACK of quality of life

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Buspar - buspirone

Doctors don't seem to prescribe buspar much, but I think it can help if taken regulary-it takes about 3 weeks of regular use to kick in and is not addictive

The hospital should have done various blood pressure and heart rate tests of you when you were in there, while lying down, sitting, and after standing for a period of time. It sounds like your doctor knows nothing of dysautonomia, not many doctors here do either. We have to tell them. Taking in our own recorded monitors helps them see it

glen

rlc

hi sleep237 protein in urine can be caused by stress which it sounds like you,ve had alot of, however it is also a sign of serious medical conditions such as kidney problems, diabeties etc, it can be caused by urinary tract infections which can seriously effect mental health, my mother runs a rest home and when ever there is a change in the behaviour of one of the residents the first thing they do is check for urinary tract infections, it is very important that this test result gets properly investigated here some links about protein in urine http://www.buzzle.com/articles/protein-in-urine-causes.html http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptom/protein-in-urine.htm hope this helps all the best