• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pseudobulbar affect, emotional lability

Lipac

I've had increasing problems with this.
Mostly intense crying when Angels it frustrated, that leaves as soon as I drop trying to communicate.

I've thought lately it must be a progression of Lyme disease, perhaps undiagnosed MS... Perhaps a Harbinger of pending decline of cognition.

The literature calls it " rare". There's no mention of it in ME/CFS.

BUT... DOES IT OCCUR in CFS?
AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I have no Alzheimer's genes and a normal MRI; increasing tremors, neuropathic itch, something new every year or so that no one pays attention to.
I don't sense any cognitive decline. Brain fog isn't a problem.

I can't make a point when frustrated without crying; extremely humiliating if at the Dr.

Women think I "turn on the waterworks for sympathy".
They tell me to stop. I can't.
Then it's suddenly gone.

I was never this way.
Never sentimental even.
I went through a horrific divorce at the height of my CFS, blamed it for years on Loss, etc.

Now it's clear it comes on like a storm, usually when frustrated or angry, and is over and I feel nothing in a minute or so.

It's not depression.
Fatigue might make it more common, but it happens in good days too.

Anybody else?

I have had a lot of this pseudobulbar affect, my brain went into this crying mode and it didn't come out, it just lasted and lasted. I had to start vortioxetine because of this, it has helped a bit. It was some kind of brain jam, like being somatic emotion, very hard to explain. It can be other emotions too, like irritability/rage being stuck for no reason.

I also remember going deep into this pseudobulbar state after quitting Armour thyroid in the past. It could have thyroid component in my case.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Yes. I have posted about this elsewhere. I also get the hysterical laughter of pseudobulbar. It is horrible.

The crying and the laughing can come on even if something is not that sad or that funny and i then become hysterical and actually physically cant stop laughing or crying and it becomes so overwhelming i feel like i might explode.

I have started avoiding both laughing and crying (they give me PEM anyway and due to MCAS i get more reactive if i cry), but this is not really a long term solution.

It can also be embarrassing if other people are there when it happens.

Me too . I went through a period of about 5 years like this. Over the last year of so this has improved a lot. For me it had absolutely nothing to do with any problems I was having. I find spending time in the woods helps this.

I am sorry for anyone who has to deal with this . I withdrew from friends for a few years , if I tried to shop in a supermarket by the end I would burst into tears at the checkout counter. Everyone would ask me what was wrong and I told them I was just exhausted and it was a physical reaction. . Ugh, I hate the way this is blown off as brain fog.