• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Proteolytic Enzymes - Trypsin & Chymotrypsin

Jwarrior77

Has anyone tried proteolytic Enzymes to help with digestion and breaking down protein? I'm specifically interested in the enzymes Trypsin and Chymotrypsin. They apparently have strong anti inflammatory effects when taken on an empty stomach. When taken with food they help break down proteins into amino acids. Each one breaks down different proteins into certain amino acids so it's best to take both enzymes. You can read more about it here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5778189/

I believe Chymotrypsin helps breaks down protein into tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine. Trypsin breaks down proteins into lysine and arginine mainly if I'm correct. I wonder what role this could have in ME/CFS if your you are deficient in these enzymes.

Has anyone tried them? What are your experiences with them? Thanks.

dannybex

I've just taken standard pancreatic enzymes, but they often leave out chymotrypsin. I remember a local support group meeting about 12-13 years ago, where one of the main things the speaker said she used to help recover lost muscle mass was chymotrypsin.

The problem is it's impossible to find it in decent doses with just the other pancreatic enzymes -- they always add high-dose bromelain, and other stuff, to make it a proprietary formula.

So I've used things like Digest Gold most of the time, which may have it's own issues.

Edit: I noticed in the study you linked they used a product called Chymoral, which they describe as 'widely used'. I guess in other parts of the world. A google search turned up the product 'Chymoral Forte', but it looks like it's available mainly in India...and available in only 20-tablet boxes.

Like I was saying...impossible to find in decent doses.

But thanks for the link @Jwarrior77

Last edited:

Jwarrior77

I've just taken standard pancreatic enzymes, but they often leave out chymotrypsin. I remember a local support group meeting about 12-13 years ago, where one of the main things the speaker said she used to help recover lost muscle mass was chymotrypsin.

The problem is it's impossible to find it in decent doses with just the other pancreatic enzymes -- they always add high-dose bromelain, and other stuff, to make it a proprietary formula.

So I've used things like Digest Gold most of the time, which may have it's own issues.

Edit: I noticed in the study you linked they used a product called Chymoral, which they describe as 'widely used'. I guess in other parts of the world. A google search turned up the product 'Chymoral Forte', but it looks like it's available mainly in India...and available in only 20-tablet boxes.

Like I was saying...impossible to find in decent doses.

But thanks for the link @Jwarrior77

Here's a link to a supplement that has a decent amount of Trypsin and Chymotrypsin. Its also the only two ingredients so you don't get all the uneeded other ingredients.

hhttps//smile.amazon.com/dp/B078X655YR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_eCW1FbNR16H27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

unfortunatley its sold out as of now. I actually bought a bottle before it went away but I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps it can be found on other websites beside amazon.

dannybex

@dannybex Strange, I'll post link again. I think because it was amazon smile the link might have gotten messed up.

https://www.amazon.com/AMVILAB-Prot...in-Chymotrypsin/dp/B078X655YR?ref_=ast_sto_dp

If that doesn't work I found the website that produces it.

https://amvilab.com/products/proteolytic-enzyme

Hope that helps.
Yes, it does, thanks!

And yes, @pamojja, it does seem like a low dose compared to some other products, but again, those products are always overloaded with high salicylate enyzmes like bromelain and papain that many of us can't tolerate.