• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Propranolol beta blocker for headache

BrightCandle

Did nothing for me. They also tried candesartan which is more a hypertension medicine (the theory behind both is that high blood pressure is causing the headaches) and it sort of reduced the headaches a little but gave me worse POTS.

The premise of high blood pressure as the cause of headaches in ME/CFS is directly contrary to the findings via dopplar that showed a 30% reduction in blood flow in the brain. So they are pretty unlikely to actually work and I think most people find they do nothing useful for the headaches, probably because they are caused by the low blood flow or low cellular energy or some other effect in the disease.

Emmarose47

Did nothing for me. They also tried candesartan which is more a hypertension medicine (the theory behind both is that high blood pressure is causing the headaches) and it sort of reduced the headaches a little but gave me worse POTS.

The premise of high blood pressure as the cause of headaches in ME/CFS is directly contrary to the findings via dopplar that showed a 30% reduction in blood flow in the brain. So they are pretty unlikely to actually work and I think most people find they do nothing useful for the headaches, probably because they are caused by the low blood flow or low cellular energy or some other effect in the disease.
Thanks for sharing
I'm trying an increase in Amitriptyline 1st..
I'm not.feeling using a beta blocker

BrightCandle

What were your headaches like ?

Mostly of the time back of the head dull 4/10 headaches that just make me foggy. Untreated with my current regime they usually grow to 9/10 headaches that can leave me unable to see, hear or move or stand due to dizziness and are excruciatingly debilitating. Nowadays I tend to move mostly between nothing noticeable just fog but not much pain and maybe 4/10 pain at the back. Once I hit that stage I tend to start treating with sudafed and LOLA.

The one drug doctors gave me that did help was Tryptophans. However its something I can only take 6 times a month and they don't remove the consequences of the headache otherwise just the pain. I really try to avoid using them.

Emmarose47

I increased the amitriptyline yesturday and when I woke in the nite was walking drunk ...
Feel ok today so far .
Am always sensitive to drug increases .

The 10/10 pain from yesturday has gone thank god .
Gonna have hot magnesium bath this avo and keep working at keeping more relaxed