• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PROMs vs. PREMs (Patient-Reported Experience Measures)

Dolphin

PREMs is a new term to me. Given the varied and often unsatisfactory experiences people with ME/CFS can have in a health care system, perhaps the term or information relating to it might be of use in some way (though this reference is a book chapter so a bit obscure)

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-32851-5_17

pp 405-417

Date: 15 September 2016
PROMs vs. PREMs (Patient-Reported Experience Measures)
  • Marwan Bukhari

Abstract
Patient-reported outcomes as well as experience measures are now the big news in the modern health service. The importance comes from their growing potential to trigger changes in healthcare delivery. Adopting these tools in standard clinical practice represents a major step forward toward patient-centered care and a new approach to assess outcomes of medical care. This chapter explores exactly what these terminologies mean. It demonstrates the differences between experience and outcome measures and reviews the evidence/need for patient-reported experience measures (PREMs) in inflammatory arthritic conditions management. The interface between PREMs and quality of care in inflammatory arthritis conditions is analyzed in comparison to diabetes mellitus as an example of chronic disease medical care. Examples of PREMs tools developed recently are included in the appendices.

Keywords
Rheumatoid arthritis Patient-reported outcome measures Patient-reported experience measures PREMs

Dolphin