• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PROGESTERONE may IMPROVE OUTCOMES from BRAIN INJURY

Sing

Hi Dreambirdie,

My brain runs slowly all the time--being overexcited, wound up, etc. aren't part of my usual pattern. So I may be the other end of the spectrum from you, in this regard.

Progesterone has a depressing effect on me, after several days of taking what I am supposed to for HRT--that is, 200 mg as a vaginal insert. I went to this route because taking a pill of that amount would make me feel like jumping off a bridge in a couple of days! Oh boy, would I be depressed! I am supposed to take this amount for 10 days in the month. Alternately I can take 100 mg a day, by pill, for 20 days--that I can tolerate but it has a mildly depressing effect.

I am post-menopausal and maybe I ought to forget about all these hormones but I found an Endocrinologist to work with me because I hoped for some improvements. The progesterone balances the estrogen I take, 1 mg per day.

So that is my story!

Cecelia

klutzo

Progesterone and Pregnenolone

I was given progesterone drops by an Integrative doctor, which did nothing. Later on, I read that it is destroyed by your stomach, so taking it orally just puts a strain on your liver and not much else.

Then I tried cream on my own, and at just 1/4 dose my breasts swelled up like very sore balloons and I developed an uncontrollable chocolate craving (even worse than usual, lol).

I now take a tiny dose of pregnenolone instead, which makes me much nicer and I have far fewer Lyme rages. I have to keep the dosage very low, or my premenopausal migraines come back. The only benefit I got from menopause was getting rid of those migraines. I wish I could take more of it. I like the way it helps you make the hormones you need, whatever they may be.

klutzo

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks Cecelia and Klutzo for your input.

I realize how specific hormonal imbalances can be, and that one hormone will work VERY differently for each of us. So far, I am doing really well with the higher dose progesterone. I had a big breast lump appear last month---the size of a peach pit, and it COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED after one week with the P! I am also liking the sedative effects.

Pregnenolone makes me NUTS! And so does estrogen. I think the P is what I need most right now. The added plus of "brain repair" sounds great to me!

Summer

Dr. Peterson is taking female patients off progesterone, I have heard, but I am not certain of that. But this is interesting:

Judy Mikovits: Correct. So... It's a simple retrovirus which means its expression [THE OFF OR OFF] is controlled by just, and we've just learned this -it's unpublished data-, by just 3 things: the response to hormones, and the response to inflammatory [this is a guess: CYTOKIENS]. It's called the [NFKPB] element.
So cortisol, which is this stress hormone, turns on the virus very rapidly, and continues to have it expressed. So do inflammatory events like those caused by other pathogens and so do hormones like androgens and progesterone’s which also make sense with regards to prostate cancer and inflammatory prostate cancer and the disease being more prevalent in women.

http://readorwatched.blogspot.com/2009/10/wpi-interview-with-judy-mikovits-and.html

klutzo

Hormones

Dreambirdie,
Wow, you are so right. Our reactions to hormones sure are different from each other. I am glad you found something that is so helpful.
- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -

Summer,
This info really scares me. I know cortisone is bad, esp. since I have Lyme, but what Lyme and CFS have done in making me SO Th2 dominant has resulted in severe insect sting allergies, and unfortunately, stinging insects can smell those who are allergic and try to do their duty by taking the weak one out of the herd. As a result, I get stung unbelievably often and in million-to-one chance situations, despite taking all the recommended precautions. Due to a heart problem, adrenaline is a real no-no for me, so I end up getting massive cortisone injections in the ER when it happens. The last time, in July of 2009, it took me 4 months to get over what it did to me. I needed 4 courses of anti-yeast drugs, and 1/3 higher doses of blood pressure and relaxant medicines because I was shaking internally and not sleeping. I don't see a solution. A very cold climate would protect me, but like most of us, I can't tolerate cold at all. I can't even stand the cold here in Florida, which is full of insects. It's a real Catch-22.

klutzo

Dreambirdie

work in progress
This illness is a real catch-22 in so many situations, isn't it. I guess that is why we have to listen to our own bodies and make the best decisions we can with the info we have and how we feel.

It's like a giant chess game with supplements and protocols. The virus is after my QUEEN! :eek:

J

jackiedevries

Progesterone was terrific for me, it is reported to reduce inflammation and also balance out estrogen. I believe the mold exposure I had was causing severe inflammation and after lots of reading probably tipping me into an estrogen dominant state. The P helped reduce fatigue/gave energy - which was critical for basic functioning.

Glad you have found it helpful, body responses are individual, so go slowly. When I first used it (the cream), my adrenal response was so strong I could not function, but after getting on proper aminos for general support, the P was very helpful.

Blessings, Jackie

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Jackie--Several questions for you.

When you said, "my adrenal response was so strong I could not function" what did you mean by that?

And what "proper aminos" are you referring to?

I have definitely s-l-o-w-e-d WAY DOWN since starting the higher dose P, which is good as I am too hyper/wired-tired much of the time. But I think
I need to refine my dosing. Any ideas on this?