• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Professor Simon Wessely & The Abused Child?

IamME

Too sick for an identity
"joe van"

It was shown to be simply hydrotherapy, where two (rather attractive!) female nurses kept the boy floating and massaged him in the water, a standard medical technique.

Since when is getting social services to forcably remove a child on false pretext and ignore best medical advice and consent in an enforced therapy, unilaterally denying his diagnosis and spouting lies "standard medical technique"? There's more than enough corroborating evidence in the letters and McManus Report -- Wessely's denial and ignorance of ME, the extraneous child protection proceedings -- to show it would only be consistent with his wrongdoing for Wessely et al to try and make Proctor look like a liar in court. But we can see from the above excerpt and everything else Wessely has said about M.E. who the real liar is.

The kid was paralysed and couldn't speak for a time, probably feeling in great discomfort or pain which water and massage would have aggravated greatly, this being severe M.E., terrified due to this abduction, do you you think he gives a flying fuck what the nurses looked like? Or is it the case you have such little moral argument or known facts you resort to fatuous trivialisation of a serious issue in the desperate hope to deflect attention?

But why should facts get in the way of a good doctors-are-evil story?

Looks to me you're the one who came conveniently short on facts, and no doubt hoped no-one would get any. And don't be an idiot; no-one said "doctors are evil". You must be pretty ignorant if you think this cruel attempt to "snap them him out of it" was unique to Mr Proctor and that harsh "tests" like this -- including totally unwarranted child protection proceedings or sectionings -- don't happen frequently among sufferers.

Why don't you grow a pair and tell us what your interest is in this? Do you know Elliot? Alternatively, crawl back to wherever you came from.

Sam Carter

Well done Elliot for being open minded and not taking a "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" approach that all doctors are inherently out to abuse patients. For example, the CCTV footage of the 'drowning' was played in the court case that arose from this incident. It was shown to be simply hydrotherapy, where two (rather attractive!) female nurses kept the boy floating and massaged him in the water, a standard medical technique. The judge immeadietly dismissed this particular claim. But why should facts get in the way of a good doctors-are-evil story?

Hi Joe,

I didn't know there was CCTV footage of Ean Proctor's "treatment". Is this available publicly or did you have an involvement with the case that allowed you privileged access?

Sam

V99

Hi Joe

I think you need to accept that some doctors are ignorant, abusive & arrogant. It does happen. They are not saints, just as the rest of the population are not all saints.

I don't know Joe, but one has to be careful not to throw 'troll' around to people who inquire or question. It can be construed as shouting down another, which isn't really the kind of welcoming and embracing nature of this forum!

Thankyou for that report by the way, Ian :)

yeah every1! see it like elliot does or be rude, abusive and cynical...thx fer the choice?

would be strange not to expect an emotional as well as an intellectual response to the original post and to imply "troll" would've seemed quite logical to strange folk like myself, tho of course the possibility of otherwise is there and will prove itself by it's pudding (posts) and "they" never said "hello" or introed themselves or owt. the phrase "emotional vampyricism" also springs to mind and also the quote "the devil tells a thousands truths to sneek in one lie"...not that ur he...loldy...

p.s. hi :)

Mark

Well done Elliot for being open minded and not taking a "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" approach that all doctors are inherently out to abuse patients.

I'm not sure who you're accusing of taking this approach Joe, but it doesn't seem to relate to anything anyone has said on this thread or elsewhere. It seems to be a misreading of this thread, this forum, and indeed Ken Kesey.

Certainly many would say that the system for ME/CFS patients in the UK is inherently - institutionally? - abusive of many patients, and many would say that there are some doctors whose treatment practices for ME/CFS patients are inherently abusive. I think the evidence in support of both those positions is quite clear and straightforward.

But the doctors-are-evil story is not one that has been presented here, so I don't quite know where it has come from, other than perhaps your own extrapolation based on the description of the treatment of Ean Procter. How we jump from there to your wild "all doctors are out to abuse patients" theory might be interesting to analyse, but not right now.

For example, the CCTV footage of the 'drowning' was played in the court case that arose from this incident. It was shown to be simply hydrotherapy, where two (rather attractive!) female nurses kept the boy floating and massaged him in the water, a standard medical technique. The judge immeadietly dismissed this particular claim.
For example of what, is not clear to me. But the relevance of the attractiveness of the nurses is only in terms of how the mentioning of that detail reflects on yourself. More importantly: how you, I, the judge or anyone else can be expected to "immediately" dismiss Ean's claim on the basis of a video such as you cite, is bizarre to contemplate. It's like disproving the existence of America by showing a video clip of Wales. I'm sure our judges aren't that stupid...

But why should facts get in the way of a good doctors-are-evil story?
Facts like this video you've seen and we haven't, I guess. I didn't spot any other facts in your post, certainly none backed by referenced evidence.

And this doctors-are-evil story that these 'facts' are blocking. Which story is that then? Is that a theory you've just put forward yourself - one not expressed or believed by members of this forum? What does it suggest, that you have reacted to posts about Simon Wessely and Ean Procter by having nightmares about a 'doctors-are-evil' story? To me it suggests a fear based on having some personal or emotional stake in that system, and a desire to protect it, but in doing so you seem to be tying one case into the defence of doctors in general, by accusing (unquoted) your (indeterminate) opponents of believing that all doctors are evil...which they do not believe...so it all seems rather odd.

I'm sure we're all genuinely interested to know more about this video you've told us about, and any other facts about the case we weren't aware of. But please in future try to avoid comments that suggest that somebody unspecifed holds extreme views - which are not held here - and a little more detail and references for any contentious claims would also be helpful. Thanks.

agree with everything you say mark, tho a reaction is what i think is wanted here and thats what "they" have....so the point of the discussion to me seems to be an exercise in venting some other retented frustration by pricking other's tender parts and grabbing any means by which to character assasinate along the way...thats my take anyways...all i see are sick games...and the heavens opened...raining and thundering a good un in blighty.....

I do hope you are not insinuating I've come on this forum to be a 'disturber of the peace' as well, hoMEy. :p I was just wanting people's take on it.
Do you have any links to the video Joe? Or any accounts of it :)

Thunderchat: We just had a huge thunderbolt here in Leicestershire..I don't think i've heard a thunderbolt that loud before; it shook the house and shut off the TV. Even in Florida I hadn't heard one so loud!

dipic

Somehow I get the feeling that this will be the last we will hear from "joe van". At least under that account name.

nothing like a good downpour to clear the air eh elliot, bring on the negative ions to chill that "close" atmosphere...love big weather! peace n love to yer dude, atb j...