• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Problems with showers

pibee

Hello

anyone else has big problems with showers, that are not entirely related to feeling tired or dysautonomia while standing?
I'd say it is more from annoyance from water touching my skin. I can't really determine what it is that bothers me so much.
In the pool or sea, I feel no issues.

I also have ADHD, and with ADHD showers are frequent problems, from what I read, because of boredom.
But for me is I think more sensitivity of skin.

Normally I dont have so much problems with noise or visual stimulation, biggest is with water.

Only few days I had improvement in this - 10+ years old symptom - it was last summer while taking large doses of vitamin D - only time when I actually felt pleasure from shower, like normal people do

I was also told this might be related to histamine, as it increase peripheral sensitivity

Last edited:
That's interesting, I have the same problem. Showering makes me worse, but not because I don't have the energy, rather that I don't tolerate the water well.
And I might also have a problem with histamine. I'm not just sensitive to water, my symptoms also worsen from too much light and my skin tingles/burns mildly. I think that might be histamine related.

I was thinking that maybe showering messes with my mineral levels or activates my thyroid more and that somehow worsens histamine?

pibee

@PinkPanda i have no idea what it is... but I feel like it's sensory overload, similar with all other sensory issues we often have, and close to autism spectrum....I measured some values for MCAS, but never histamine. Other values were "fine". Totally new to MCAS

pibee

i forgot to say i hate to go to a hairdresser, i dont remember when was last time I did.. so i guess touch is my major sensory issue.

bspg

Plant Queen
This is actually a common symptom in MCAS. I have it to some extent (sometimes not at all, sometimes intensely). I've personally found that using cooler temperature water helps some. Not cold, just not super hot.

pibee

This is actually a common symptom in MCAS. I have it to some extent (sometimes not at all, sometimes intensely). I've personally found that using cooler temperature water helps some. Not cold, just not super hot.

how do you know you have MCAS? were any labs showing it? For me, so far all good. I'm a bit skeptical, especially because my chromogranin A was lower than the ref range, not even normal, and should be high ?!

bspg

Plant Queen
how do you know you have MCAS? were any labs showing it? For me, so far all good. I'm a bit skeptical, especially because my chromogranin A was lower than the ref range, not even normal, and should be high ?!

I was diagnosed by a doctor based on symptom history and the fact that I improve with antihistamine therapy. My labs were normal, chromogranin A was middle of the range.

CedarHome

I used to feel depressed that I could be defeated by a shower. Now I try to see the humor in it.
Wiped out for the day.... but so clean!:thumbsup::bang-head:
Some days, showering takes all the energy I have.
When those days run together, I do cat baths or short cool showers only.

pibee

I used to feel depressed that I could be defeated by a shower. Now I try to see the humor in it.
Wiped out for the day.... but so clean!:thumbsup::bang-head:
Some days, showering takes all the energy I have.
When those days run together, I do cat baths or short cool showers only.

yes energy is def one reason why i hate showers, but is not only that because often times i go out, and still try to avoid shower if i dont really stink :p
it could be sensory overload, or also psychomotoric issue, maybe some physical activities give me more PEM. this is weird, in my brain there are some 'pathways' that are completely blocked. while others are intact.

God knows the real intention was for me to be autistic, but I guess I just loved talking too much so God had to quit on his initial intentions and i got this state. :thumbsup::bang-head:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
does anyone feel their stomach, gallbladder and liver area get really rock like and spasm upon water from shower (even cool water)....this is bizarre and happening to me past month and really affects digestion.

pibee

after IVIG my problem just disappeared, and suddenly i enjoyed showering...... oh....... and i was almost locked up into mental hospital for not shhowering.. :p

Last edited: