Problems Converting Beta Carotene to Vitamin A

Hi all, I've been reading the forums looking for info on converting Beta Carotene to Vitamin A.

I had excess Beta Carotene on my last lab and have routinely had low Vitamin A in times of severe illness, which presented as symptoms of Vitamin A deficiency. I was not taking any supplements at all for a year prior to that lab test. Vitamin D was dipping into low, but after winter and not being outside much at all, that's not that bad.

I know that there are genetic reasons that can make the conversion process difficult although I don't think I have that because I was healthy through childhood into my 20's. What other issues could be in the way of converting or utilizing vitamin A?

Unfortunately, tolerating supplementation of A & D has been an issue in the past, caused other symptoms, sometimes paradoxical reactions. So if anyone has ideas for ways around that issue, that would be so helpful. I'm wondering if anything topical could help. Meanwhile, I guess I will eat lots of tuna fish and eggs? I'd appreciate any thoughts :)

Last edited:

nerd

I know that there are genetic reasons that can make the conversion process difficult although I don't think I have that because I was healthy through childhood into my 20's. What other issues could be in the way of converting or utilizing vitamin A?
You don't necessarily feel this during your younger ages. I have a genetic predisposition for Vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies are only brought to bear once you have an additional condition such as CFS/ME. Everyone has some nutritionally-relevant predispositions. It's not always pathologically relevant that you feel this as a child and don't grow up properly if you don't treat it. I can't think of any other reason why beta carotene wouldn't be metabolized to retinoic acid.

pamojja

A 100g can of cod-liver could contain more than 50.000 IUs. Having had low serum retinol too, it took me in average 4700 mcg/d (15.650 IU/d) during the last 12 years to bring levels up. meanwhile my taste for cod-liver has disappeared.