• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

“Probiotic-derived molecule may suppress fatal brain inflammation, preclinical study finds”

Jackb23

The study, published in Nature Communications on May 14, found that B. fragilis' bacterial envelope, PSA, brings forth regulatory T and B cells that suppress the immune system from overproducing harmful inflammatory responses triggered by herpes simplex virus infection. In other words, PSA reduced brainstem inflammation by promoting the appearance of IL-10 secreting regulatory T and B cells. IL-10 is a strong anti-inflammatory cytokine which creates a protective, anti-inflammatory response that prevents encephalitis.”

“Researchers say the findings are the first to suggest that an envelope molecule from a bacterium called Bacteroides fragilis (B. fragilis) might be useful against viral inflammatory diseases. Called capsular polysaccharide A (PSA), the envelope molecule appears to promote protective, anti-inflammatory responses during a viral infection, said Ramakrishna Chandran, Ph.D., and Edouard Cantin, Ph.D., authors of the study and virology and immunology experts at City of Hope.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190514081740.htm

Hip

I think that article made an error when it described Bacteroides fragilis as a probiotic: this bacterium is not available as a probiotic, though it is being investigated as a possible future probiotic, provided it can be shown safe. It may not be safe though, as Bacteroides can cause clinical infections.

PSA reduced brainstem inflammation by promoting the appearance of IL-10 secreting regulatory T and B cells. IL-10 is a strong anti-inflammatory cytokine which creates a protective, anti-inflammatory response that prevents encephalitis.

IL-10 is also a Th2 cytokine, and thus will weaken the antiviral immune response.

Hip

You tend to accumulate a bit of knowledge after investigating for over a decade medical ideas and treatments that may help ME/CFS!

It would be interesting to try capsular polysaccharide A (PSA) from Bacteroides fragilis if it were made available as a supplement.

Rufous McKinney

You tend to accumulate a bit of knowledge after investigating for over a decade medical ideas and treatments that may help ME/CFS!

I'd send you an Academy Award for: best Hard Worker who helps so MANY of us. Thank you thank you!:cool:;):)

In hindsight, when they asked me to teach Human Physiology in grad school, I should have agreed. Instead of: fleeing the area