• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pretorius long covid microclot paper protocol

GlassCannonLife

Hi all,

I asked in the help-apheresis thread but haven't gotten any responses, so I thought I'd make a new thread so it doesn't get lost.

Have any of you tried the Pretorius paper protocol to treat potential microclots after covid?

Someone had shared it a few months ago - see attached.

My GP is open to the idea of trialling it but I thought I'd check before I bother getting into something like this.

The main protocol in brief is:
A subset of 24 patients was treated with
one month of dual antiplatelet therapy (DAPT) (Clopidogrel 75mg/Aspirin 75mg) once a day,
as well as a direct oral anticoagulant (DOAC) (Apixiban) 5 mg twice a day. A proton pump
inhibitor (PPI) pantoprazole 40 mg/day was also prescribed for gastric protection. Such a
regime must only be followed under strict and qualified medical guidance to obviate any
dangers, especially haemorrhagic bleeding, and of the therapy as a whole.
Thromboelastography (TEG®
) was used to assist in determining their clotting status. Each of
the 24 treated cases reported that their main symptoms were resolved and fatigue as the main
symptom was relieved, and this was also reflected in a decrease of both the fibrin amyloid
microclots and platelet pathology scores.

Thanks!

Attachments

• combined_triple_treatment_of_fibrin_amyloid_microclots_and_platelet_pathology_in_individuals_w.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Treeman

I've been trying it. I omitted clopidogrel but have now order some. I tried the other 2 (aspirin, apixiban) for about a month without any benefit. I did notice I bruised slightly more severely and bleed slightly more when I cut myself, so I guess it was having an impact on the blood.

The clopidogrel is due to arrive soon, only about 8 days worth but I don't hold out any high hopes.

GlassCannonLife

I've been trying it. I omitted clopidogrel but have now order some. I tried the other 2 (aspirin, apixiban) for about a month without any benefit. I did notice I bruised slightly more severely and bleed slightly more when I cut myself, so I guess it was having an impact on the blood.

The clopidogrel is due to arrive soon, only about 8 days worth but I don't hold out any high hopes.

Thanks, that's a shame. You were trying it for post covid issues?

I started crashing progressively as soon as I got covid but had very mild normal symptoms (cough fever etc). I've been wondering if it could have caused a microclot or other type of issue so thought maybe I should give this a go.

GlassCannonLife

I caught covid and it took 3 months to recover. However I already had ME/CFS.

My wife has long covid, she also tried it with no benefits.

That sucks, glad you recovered though. Sorry to hear about your wife. Yeah I was also severe for a few years before I got it recently.

By 3 months to recover, what do you mean - did it crash you but you managed to get back to your pre-covid function? Or you had long haul style cough etc.?

Treeman

By 3 months to recover, what do you mean - did it crash you but you managed to get back to your pre-covid function?

Yes. Crashed me big time. For the first few weeks I couldn't get out of bed, not even to get a wash. I slowly improved and after 3 months I was back to my pre covid level of health.

My wife had a very mild covid infection and was looking after me, giving me bed baths etc. Now her health is worse than mine.

She's just received a long covid and/or ME/ CFS diagnosis. She has all the diagnostic features of both. Although I read last week that there are some trying to put together diagnostic features for long covid that are identical to ME/CFS. Perhaps in time they may be know as post viral fatigue syndrome?

GlassCannonLife

Yes. Crashed me big time. For the first few weeks I couldn't get out of bed, not even to get a wash. I slowly improved and after 3 months I was back to my pre covid level of health.

My wife had a very mild covid infection and was looking after me, giving me bed baths etc. Now her health is worse than mine.

She's just received a long covid and/or ME/ CFS diagnosis. She has all the diagnostic features of both. Although I read last week that there are some trying to put together diagnostic features for long covid that are identical to ME/CFS. Perhaps in time they may be know as post viral fatigue syndrome?

Ah that sucks for her I'm sorry to hear that.

But I must say your story is very motivating! I have literally had the same thing happen, I crashed the worst I have ever before and have gone from housebound to only getting up to eat in bed and walk to the toilet a few m, barely using my phone and just resting. Very much hoping I'll be able to slowly regain my function too.

Not to go off topic, but what is your plan for future potential covid infections? I heard that after 3-6 months most of the immunity is gone..

GlassCannonLife

Oh and what is your normal function? I was (and hopefully will again be) housebound around 20-23/100

Treeman

but what is your plan for future potential covid infections?

We caught covid January 2021 before jabs had been introduced. I take acyclvoir as a prophylactic and considering the reports that other viruses are reactivated during covid, I think there's a good chance they helped me.

Since then I've now had 4 jabs (as the NHS are aware my immune system doesn't work too well). I expect to be offered further jabs as long as the UK government feels it's necessary. When I had my fourth Jab, I was told they expect the next one for me in the autumn.

When recovering from covid I did try to regain my previous life. After about 3 weeks I went out and walked across the street and back. And so on to slowly build my health and activity levels up. I think this helped.

My ME/CFS is moderate. I spend most of the day laying down but I can do a few hours of activity pacing.

GlassCannonLife

@BrightCandle you've experimented with this type of thing a bit right?

I think I recall you saying that you had some improvement from using serrapeptase/lumbrokinase/nattokinase?

I have serrapeptase and lumbrokinase but I tried them a little pre covid and got little bits of seemingly worsened PEM from them.. A bit worried to try now for actual covid issues.

How did you find it went with everything? Any herx type inflammatory factor release from microclots or anything?

BrightCandle

@BrightCandle you've experimented with this type of thing a bit right?

I think I recall you saying that you had some improvement from using serrapeptase/lumbrokinase/nattokinase?

I have serrapeptase and lumbrokinase but I tried them a little pre covid and got little bits of seemingly worsened PEM from them.. A bit worried to try now for actual covid issues.

How did you find it went with everything? Any herx type inflammatory factor release from microclots or anything?

I was taking lumbrokinase and Bromelain and I did manage to thin my blood substantially, took about 2 months for it to become problematic (Bromelain x3 a day and 1x Lumbrokinase). Nattokinase made me lightheaded was pretty unpleasant so didn't do that for more than 4 weeks. I am still taking bromelain or lumbrokinase but not both at once, I am alternating them. It does seem to reduce the fatigue and clear the brain fog alongside everything else. No obvious herx, I don't notice taking them much at all just a bit of gut grumble and hunger associated with taking them.

vision blue

@Treeman Do you think the vax aided your recovery? When after your initial illness did you take the first?

Feel really bad about your wife. Guess vqx did not help her at all.

Im sure everyone has heard the claim that some with long covid report big i
Improvement following vax and the speculation is long covid for those is inability to completely clear infection (or at least inability to convince immune system its gone) especially those who had mild infection Pure speculation if you coukdnt clesr virus maybe ykur wife exposed to to much for prolonged period? (Its been found the person who gets it second in a household tends to have a more severe illness)

(Flax oil as well as depleted vitamin K cannalso thin bloid alot for tbose who cqnt go the aspirin route)