• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Premenstrual itchy skin

Sarah94

In the few days before my period I itch like mad all over my body.

I use an emollient gel but it doesn't calm the itching for long.

I assume there must be a hormonal factor at play.

The internet said that it's something to do with the release of prostaglandins.

(The internet also said that it could be caused by histamine release, but I'm pretty sure it's not that, because antihistamines don't make a difference, and anyway if I had increased histamine then my pollen allergy symptoms would be worse around my period, and they aren't.)

Anyway, is there anything I can do to treat this? Not just to treat the symptoms, but to treat the cause?

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Could it be higher levels of Candida? My environmental doctor said those levels do go up around that time. Mine always seemed to.

Have you tried an anti-fungal cream? I use clotrimazole cream even though it's not specified for allover use...it's the only thing that works for me.

I suppose you could also try something like tree tea soap or oil, colloidal silver, or miconazole. Out of those only the colloidal silver seemed to do anything however not as well as the clotrimazole cream.

Just a suggestion. Also if you find it works, I think you would want to stay on it for a while to make sure the condition is fully treated and doesn't come back.

I hope you get some answers that resolve the issue for you.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I am not a woman, so it might not be of importance.

Recently I reintroduced small amounts of tyrosine, now along with 250g gaba and taurin. I got crazy itchy palms from it, but overall it helps. (I had to stop tyrosine b/c I was so stupid to test an antipsychotic - supposed for my false illness believe - for one single time, worst thing I ever have done.)

So maybe a strategy could be to elevate tyrosine when your skin is not itching, and then to avoide it. Being careful with elevation, I guess. VitC would turn dopamine into noradrenalin, countering a bit the effect of tyrosine.

Last edited:

anni66

mum to ME daughter
In the few days before my period I itch like mad all over my body.

I use an emollient gel but it doesn't calm the itching for long.

I assume there must be a hormonal factor at play.

The internet said that it's something to do with the release of prostaglandins.

(The internet also said that it could be caused by histamine release, but I'm pretty sure it's not that, because antihistamines don't make a difference, and anyway if I had increased histamine then my pollen allergy symptoms would be worse around my period, and they aren't.)

Anyway, is there anything I can do to treat this? Not just to treat the symptoms, but to treat the cause?
Low estrogen ( itchy skin can be a menopausal issue too when estrogen tanks)
Typically estrogen is at its lowest just before your period.
https://www.skintolivein.com/psoria...ormonal-how-hormone-changes-impact-your-skin/