• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pregbalin to treat pain, any experieences?

sleepy237

I got a script for pregbalin to treat pain & anxiety. I am very sensitive to medications starting on 50mg, wondered if anyone has any feedback on this drug thanks ~Sleepy

ukxmrv

Sleepy, I'm a big fan of Pregabilin. It was sold to me as Lyrica in London. A few comments though

1. I can only tolerate it at around 25mg a day and only in batches i.e. a couple of days, then stop. All my attempts to work up to large doses/more days failed miserably. Each time I got "over hyped", developed sinus infections and then crashed with ME symptoms worsening (weakness, sort throat, glands, flu feeling etc)

2. I don't have anxiety so don't know how well it works for that sorry

3. It helped control nerve pain very well indeed for me. For the post exertional ME muscle type pain it did nothing

I know that they sound like massive problems but after about 6 years of nerve pain it was an enormous relief to find something that actually did work - even if I have to pulse it and take breaks. The FM doctor I saw said in a small number of cases people are using it like I do. He didn't think that it would work to control pain in the way I am taking it but he has now seen a few patients who are very sensitive to drugs and the same.

sleepy237

yayyy thanks uk!! It is the pain that causes the anxiety (esp chest pain) so if it helps pain it helps both. Thank you !!

CBS

Alan and Kathy Light along with Dr. Bateman are now studying Lyrica in CFS patients who have FM-like pain. They are looking to see if it is effective and if it actually changes the genetic expression associated with sensory and adrenergic proteins. Alan light shared data at the CFSAC meeting and at his recent OFFER Utah presentation suggesting that in some subgroups it could be useful.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Sleepy - I have been on Pregabalin for insomnia (I don't have pain or anxiety) for about a year. It can be prescribed in 25mg doses and I worked up to 75mg.

The consultant who prescribed it warned me that it might make me very dopey for a couple of weeks and might not help with my sleep for a couple of weeks but that I'd have to stick with it to give it a fair test. I was glad of the warning - otherwise I might have given up very quickly - but indeed after a couple of weeks the side-effects (feeling stunned) wore off and the help with sleeping kicked in.

I don't know if a similar delay is to be expected with pain & anxiety but it's something to be aware of. Your pharmacist as well as your doctor might know about that.

Good luck!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i use pregabalin/lyrica for leg pains i get at night when trying to sleep, not really sure if its restless leg syndrome or not or just apart of my viral crap that i have, anyway it helps with that and helps improve sleep quality although on its own its not that good for sleep but with a sleep med its pretty good. Also has helped me with chronic lower back pain. I normally take 150mg at night but have on occassions used 300mg and have had no side effects.

cheers!!!

Francelle

I have been on 300 mg of Lyrica (Pregabalin) for about 12 months now. About two years ago I initially started on 75mgs for neuropathic pain and gradually graded up to my current dose. I don't have anxiety.

The first evening that I took 75mg Lyrica I was like a drunk – weaving from side to side and I felt like a zombie. I also slept like a log that night. Obviously my sleep had been bad for some time and I didn’t realise until I slept through the whole night. Eventually the worst of the zombie feeling lifted, even when I raised the dose.

The Lyrica has helped the neuropathic pain by about 30% I’d estimate, but not too sure; however lately I’ve been thinking that Lyrica is extremely expensive if its prime role is as a sedative. I believe I could get a dedicated sedative for a lot cheaper if sleep was my only issue.

It’s a tough one as I'm not sure whether the benefits are outweighing the costs.