• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

potential cure for aids?!!

Gemini

ii can't believe this was never followed up on in the news or anything.

kat,

interesting find!

looks like you're from Texas, would it be
possible for you to contact Dr. Paul at the
Univ. Texas Houston and ask if his technique
would work on a retrovirus like XMRV?
how difficult is it to find a virus' Achilles'
heel like he did?

Wayne

Thanks for posting this Kat. I found it quite interesting.

I might mention that this youtube video is a CBS News segment. It's well done and seems highly credible.

Best, Wayne

kat0465

Gemeni, i thought it was really amazing, and yes im about 60 miles from Houston. i'm going to try and see if i can contact him somehow.
I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

Wayne,i agree, the fact it made the news like that must have been a really great find!! i know they have to do trials so they dont harm someone more than they already are. but if things like a retro virus that can kill you in a matter of a few months are out there. you think it would light a fire under thier butts!!

it's been 2 years since that story, they sould have moved to human trials if it showed that kind of promise.

Kat

Gemini

i'm going to try and see if i can contact him somehow.
I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

Kat,

I'm very interested in the current status of Dr. Paul's research if
you talk to him. Video indicates this eliminates the need for ARV
drugs, an important concept.

kat0465

well guys i put his name in Bing, and found his website with all the info on it! and promptly e-mailed him. and got a failure to send:( evidently his addy isnt good anymore, , maybe someone else can get thru, my brain isnt working today :(

alex3619

Hi Kat0465

This treatment, from the video, is based on disabling the protein that can bind HIV to a cell and allow it to attack. It is not a cure. All retroviruses might be targetable by this mechanism however. Given that he is still working on HIV and requires funding, don't expect him to turn to us to help us for five to ten years. This doesn't mean that others can't use this approach. So if he want to do this for XMRV, expect it in 20 years. If someone else starts, we could have it in five. What effect would it have: one drug to stop the virus spreading, not HAART. It is not a cure. It might also not disable the toxic effects of the XMRV protein envelope.

Bye
Alex

ps An even more promising approach is on the thread here:

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...-will-fund-important-battle-in-war-on-viruses

This researcher has the physical structure of the XMRV protein mapped, which would enable drug and antibody research to target it.

kat0465

thaks Gemini!!

it must have some pretty good promise, as the research is moving along on it. i tried to write him at that addy, to ask him about XMRV and what he thought about it all,
but i got the e-mail back it failed to send because of errors, which were porbably mine,lol. if someone would be interested to e-mail him, i would love to even know if he has heard of XMRV. surely he has.
i will try again with the e-mail. i know all retroviruses are a little different, but i still think we will benefit off of aids research, and lets face it, at this time thats our way to get our foot in the door. especially if people start worrying about the blood supply!and they better worry.

Kat