• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium vs salt

xebex

on docs instructions i've upped my salt intake - mainly through food and as it's been christmas i've been pigging out on chips and kind of happy that it's not had any of the usual bad effects (migraines) - i used to not be able to eat chips and now I can whoo! However now my legs, feet and hands are cramping- have i messed up my salt potassium balance? should i just add some potassium?

thanks

xebex

Yea I have in the past put salt in water or dissolved it under my tongue I use celtic sea salt, but after a couple of days I start gagging on it so im not sure my salt levels are that bad, frustrating.

Mary

Moderator Resource
have i messed up my salt potassium balance? should i just add some potassium?
I'd certainly give it a try - a good source is low-sodium V8 or low-sodium vegetable juice - it's higher in potassium than regular V8. If low potassium is causing the cramps (which I think is quite possible), the low-sodium V8/vegetable juice would likely help within a couple of hours. I would drink a couple of glasses and see what happens.

Wolfcub

i use these lately. Although ill prob go back fo lite salt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OG8G9UM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

tast a bit better. I apread them over 3 days uusally. I have a big prob with hydration. Often dont want to drink because too tired.
Yes, the rehydration salts might be a good idea, because they are going to provide the full electrolyte requirements, not only potassium so the balance is kept a bit steadier. That might help balance extra salt the doctor advised you to use, @xebex

As for taking extra salt, did the doctor say how much? I wonder if just sprinkling a bit extra on food might do the trick (or if you use Celtic salt, and that won't work in a grinder, then making a solution with a little water and sprinkling drops of that on food?)

xebex

@Wolfcub - i have tried adding salt as per POTS protocols of 5 grams a day (2500mg sodium) celtic sea salt dissolved under tongue then drink water, it's helpful for 2 days then it does nothing but make me gag. I eat a lot of salt in my food anyway, so doc suggested adding even more salt so i just stuffed my face with potato chips lol but i dont think that pure sodium is good, it def pulls you out of balance faster than celtic sea salt. I'm going to try the V8 and if no luck there i'll try the proper rehydration salts.