• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Post-mental-exertion malaise

I have so much recognition with what you are all referring to here. The repercussions from mental work (for me, especially work with numbers & accuracy) can be dreadful; I've felt almost paralyzed, almost unable to drive home from work. Highly emotional situations can do the same, only with far more adrenaline lingering, I think.

I've only recently become aware of what happens when I try to, say, read while listening to the news: NOT a good idea (I'm always trying to multitask because I'm always running behind). The worst times for me were at work, trying to perform my computer duties (fairly simple, routine tasks), with someone expecting me to chat with them at the same time; quickly made me SEVERELY exhausted cognitively AND physically, without any significant physical exertion at all.

It's so hard to admit this, to admit weakness of any sort, but especially of the mental sort! (Esther12, your 'Cripple or a Simpleton' statement made me laugh out loud, in spite of the tragedy of it; maybe it's just the rhyme-y-ness, or my sense of humor is getting even sicker along with the rest of me... ;-)

SOC

It is all rather confusing and unsettling to think that there's some trade off between physical activity and intellectual/psychological resilience. Would I rather be a cripple or a simpleton?

I just ran into this post Esther12, and I love it! It's probably the one thing that my friends who mostly "get" ME/CFS still don't get. It's pretty much an either/or thing with me -- I can chat and have a reasonably intelligent conversation if they come visit me, or I can go out to dinner and sit there like a vegetable, but I can't go out and carry on an intelligent conversation.

Ah, the joys of ME/CFS

taniaaust1

What does affect me lot, usually negatively, is food sensitivities, intestinal infections, too much sugar, it all affects my brain as well and gives me mood swings, brain fog and fatigue (again, the feeling of being so heavy and slow).

It is all so mysterious...

Candida??? sugar feeds it. Maybe taking something like olive leaf extract would help your body deal with it (you'd probably get herxing on it if it is candida as when candida dies, it releases toxins)

Candida??? sugar feeds it. Maybe taking something like olive leaf extract would help your body deal with it (you'd probably get herxing on it if it is candida as when candida dies, it releases toxins)

Thanks. I've been looking into the yeast thing, and taken various prescriptions as well as herbs like grapefruit seed extract, caprylic acid and oil of oregenao. I also take tons of probiotics. What helped the most was changing my diet, low carbs low starch low sugar. I also did an organic acid test at Great Plains Lab and found out I have bacteria problems as well, for which I went on a few courses of Flagyl and Vancomycin. It usually backfired on me quickly though, since once I kill something something else nastier seems to creep up. But really, diet changes with low carbs and starches is what helps the most against everything, together with courses of raw garlic when i feel bad.

I also found out that I am IgG sensitive to 30 foods, including yeasts. I guess that might be why sugar makes me feel bad. My symptoms went a lot better when i removed these foods (incl. all peppers, turmeric, seasonings), especially afternoon brain fog, sleepiness and fatigue, acid diarrhea, heartburn, bloating.

Thank you again everyone for your replies and for sharing your stories.

In my case, it seems to be stressful mental activity, or emotions, like anger, fear, anxiety, that causes me problems. Also being in social situations is draining, for example a family reunion or meeting with friends is so taxing for me. I actually rarely do so, maybe once every other month... Simply answering the telephone is tough so I don't do it, I just listen to my messages.

However I do not have issues doing purely intellectual work not involving emotions, like maths, or reading, trying to solve problems, etc... as long as I do not have pressure on. I am going through tons of books on autism, CFS, HIV and such, as well as internet, and it does not exhaust me, because I can go at my pace and there is no stress or pressure involved. For me these high level activities have actually always been soothing, puts my brain in a special mode that is away from dreaded emotional reactions that are so draining.

VillageLife

In my case, it seems to be stressful mental activity, or emotions, like anger, fear, anxiety, that causes me problems. Also being in social situations is draining, for example a family reunion or meeting with friends is so taxing for me.

Yep this is the same for me anything emotional and my body goes into shut down. Also talking with people is hard, when someone visits it takes me a good half an hour to try to adjust to them in the room, its so hard on my body at first!
If I read a magazine...I can start to feel as ill as walking.

pamb

It's pretty much an either/or thing with me -- I can chat and have a reasonably intelligent conversation if they come visit me, or I can go out to dinner and sit there like a vegetable, but I can't go out and carry on an intelligent conversation.

Ah, the joys of ME/CFS

Thank you sickofcfs - You have just expressed what I have not been able to explain very well. Following the whole cripple or simpleton thought, for my husband that is definitely true, and mental or emotional work of any kind really lays him low. It has been so helpful for me to see validation here that it is real and part of CFS.

Anyway, the either/or is so helpful to ME in accepting the limitations of our life together. It saddens me so much that, when I want to share something nice outside of our home with John I can't because, even though I could take him there, say a 4 mile drive down to our local village - a renowned medieval village, full of festivals and markets in summer, that would be it. He would not have the energy left to appreciate whatever it is. And certainly the stimulus overload (mental again) would do him in entirely, thus rendering the whole thing a complete disaster. Ah, the joys of ME/CFS indeed!

Roll on research!

taniaaust1

I also found out that I am IgG sensitive to 30 foods, including yeasts. I guess that might be why sugar makes me feel bad. My symptoms went a lot better when i removed these foods (incl. all peppers, turmeric, seasonings), especially afternoon brain fog, sleepiness and fatigue, acid diarrhea, heartburn, bloating.

Some of that (diarrhea, heartburn, bloating) sounds like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). IBS is often made worst by peppers and spices and a common avoid thing for those with IBS. Taking something for the IBS you may find also may help eg probotics can be helpful in IBS (along with watching out for other IBS triggers). Also fibre supplements may be helpful in IBS.