• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Post-bacterial infection chronic fatigue syndrome is not a latent infection"

roller

wiggle jiggle
Cléa Melenotte a Michel Drancourt a Jean Pierre Gorvel b Jean Louis Mège a DidierRaoult a
a Aix Marseille University, IRD, MEPHI, IHU, méditerranée infection, AP–HM, 13385 Marseille cedex 05, France
b Aix Marseille University, CNRS, Inserm, CIML, 13288 Marseille cedex 09, France
Received 31 July 2018, Accepted 15 January 2019, Available online 2 February 2019.

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medmal.2019.01.006
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0399077X18307923

Highlights

• Subjective symptoms described in post-infectious chronic fatigue syndromes are still misunderstood and no evidence is available to prove that such symptoms could be related to dormant bacterial infections or to carriage of viable bacteria.

• Conversely, latent infection could be defined as an asymptomatic disease prone to reactivation in which the microorganisms are likely to be dormant.

• The antibiotic therapy has therefore no place in the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome and latent infection, except in cases of latent syphilis and latent tuberculosis infection to prevent, after the primary infection, progression to the secondary or tertiary stage of the disease.

Abstract
Post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome is a public health problem. Etiologies and physiopathological mechanisms are unknown. Some viruses are known to be involved in post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome, but the role of bacterial infection is still questioned, especially in cases of post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome where subjective symptoms are regularly attributed to the presence of the dormant bacterium without scientific evidence. However, the medical experience of recalcitrant infections, relapses, and reactivations questions the role of “dormant bacteria” in asymptomatic latent infections as well as in subjective symptoms.

We summarized scientific literature data on post-bacterial infection chronic fatigue syndrome, the role of dormant bacteria in latent infections, and bacterial asymptomatic carriage. Subjective symptoms described in post-infectious chronic fatigue syndromes are still misunderstood and there is no evidence suggesting that such symptoms could be related to dormant bacterial infection or carriage of viable bacteria. Psychological trauma may be part of these subjective symptoms. Post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome could nonetheless be due to unknown microorganisms. Antibiotic treatment is not required for latent infections, except for latent syphilis and latent tuberculosis infections to prevent, after the primary infection, progression to the secondary or tertiary stage of the disease.

Keywords
Lyme disease
Latent infection
Post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome

msf

• Subjective symptoms described in post-infectious chronic fatigue syndromes are still misunderstood and no evidence is available to prove that such symptoms could be related to dormant bacterial infections or to carriage of viable bacteria.

• Conversely, latent infection could be defined as an asymptomatic disease prone to reactivation in which the microorganisms are likely to be dormant.

Word games, and dumb word games at that.

msf

'Antibiotic treatment is not required for latent infections, except for latent syphilis and latent tuberculosis infections to prevent, after the primary infection, progression to the secondary or tertiary stage of the disease.'

As I've pointed out before, mainstream medicine only recognizes those chronic bacterial infections that if left untreated are deadly. Seems somewhat surprising that in the weird and not so wonderful world of bacteria, not one has evolved to persist in humans without killing them.

Of course, what I've said doesn't answer the question of whether people with ME have chronic infections, but then nothing in this article does either.

msf

By the way, if anyone can point out the rather obvious (if you think about it for five minutes) contradiction presented by the three paragraphs I quoted they get a 'I am smarter/more ethical than some ID doctors' badge.

roller

wiggle jiggle
Post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome could nonetheless be due to unknown microorganisms.

to me, this reads so outlandish in the context, that i wondered if it was edited in later.

... when it cant be ruled out, that there are microorganisms, then you cant claim abx will be useless ?