• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Positiv for various enteroviruses.. which one to focus on?

Hey, i just got my lab results back. I’m positive for coxsackie A9, B2, B4 and Echovirus 9. Are any of these more relevant than others? I read somewhere that titers from 160 to 320 indicate an activ infection, is that true? I guess in terms of treatment, there isn’t one for a specific enterovirus anyway..

Any other thoughts on the results?

Attachments

• 226917B8-34BB-4BAA-A121-FE66F2E49C28.jpeg
    226917B8-34BB-4BAA-A121-FE66F2E49C28.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 41

Hip

I read somewhere that titers from 160 to 320 indicate an activ infection, is that true?

Which lab did the test, was it IMD, or perhaps the Institute of Medical Virology?

For the ARUP lab tests, Dr Chia uses 1:160 and higher as an indicator of active infection. This threshold may not translate exactly to other labs, so hard to say if any of your viruses are in active infection.

Normally it is only the coxsackievirus Bs and echoviruses that are focused on in ME/CFS, not the coxsackievirus As.

So in your case, the viruses which might be an issue are echovirus 9 and coxsackievirus B2.

Dr Chia uses oxymatrine for coxsackievirus B, but oxymatrine does not work for echoviruses.

Which lab did the test, was it IMD, or perhaps the Institute of Medical Virology?

Yes it was the Institute of medical virology in Frankfurt.

Normally it is only the coxsackievirus Bs and echoviruses that are focused on in ME/CFS, not the coxsackievirus As.

So in your case, the viruses which might be an issue are echovirus 9 and coxsackievirus B2.

Thank you for the information!

Dr Chia uses oxymatrine for coxsackievirus B, but oxymatrine does not work for echoviruses.

Does Oxymatrine work for CVB2? Could Lamivudine be an option against echovirus 9?

Hip

Does Oxymatrine work for CVB2?

I have seen Dr Chia indicate it will work for CVB3 and CVB4, but don't know specifically for CVB2, but my guess is that it may be able to help.

Could Lamivudine be an option against echovirus 9?

Dr Chia finds Epivir (lamivudine) has no effect against echoviruses EV6 and EV7. Ref: 1 But presumably for EV9 it may work.

Dr Chia says 1 in 3 ME/CFS patients respond to Epivir. Ref: 1 But Epivir does not have a strong effect, so if you did get improvements, they would be milder ones, not major benefits.