• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Polyclonal immune system activation - is Plaquenil safe and proper way?

MartinK

Hi all,
my immunologist told me, when he saw my sky high antibody results after 3rd covid vaccine, it confirms "polyclonal immune system activation".
Im worse after booster, my immune system is probably highly overactive.

Overactive immune system is maybe one of main parts of my problem, who knows...

My doctor wants me on Plaquenil, but I'm afraid of this type of antibiotic. Or its not a Fluoroquinolone antibiotic?
I know Fluoroquinolone is Cipro / Levo and some more antibiotics, but I found Plaquenil in this list somewhere too.

"Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine belong to the quinolone family. Although their therapeutic and toxic doses differ, they are related drugs with similar clinical indications for use and similar manifestations of retinal toxicity."

I also remember some people who are on wheelchairs irreversibly due to Fluoroquinolone atbx.

Does anyone have other tips on how to try to affect polyclonal immune system activation? Has anyone encountered this?

btw. Methylprednisolone and maybe some more corticosteroids I can't tolerate it at a higher "immune calming" shoot dose.

cheers, Martin

MartinK

No one has experience with Plaquenil ?
I have prescribed 200mg 2x day for 14 days, then 200 mg 1x day.
I weigh 73 kg, I hope that the possible toxicity would be due to the accumulation of higher doses.

vision blue

hi martin-

I don't have much to say that would be of use alas. I did know that plaquenil is a quinine drug but I never connected it with the quinoloine antibiotics that give some people mitochondrial issues and tendon ruptures etc. Plaquenil is not an antibiotic so maybe that helps alot. I don't recall ever seeing the symptoms of "being floxed" reported for plaquenil or any related antimalarial; doesnot mean it doesn't exist but it's a good sign. maybe folks on the floxed forums would know for sure. quinolone antibitiecs are bacterialcidal and that's not true of plaquenil.

questions for you- which tests indiciated polyclonal immune system activation? immunoglobulins? b cells? t cells? Did they also test for autoantibodies? Did you have an immunologist before the covid vax and for what reason?

(if you do take plaquenil, there's a dose weight calculator just to make sure it doesn't accumlulate enough to affect retinas- or ears. They don't talk about it as much, but the same life time accumulation also is ototoxic. It's largely for that reason- and digestive- that I had decided to not take plaquenil. As a guy, likely youre ok on the accumulation front. )

will hope with time your immune system will calm down - when's your repeat testing? look up meds you want to talk for cytokine storm, that may help on a short term basis (plaq is a long term thing so again depending on why you have an immunologist in the rfirst place will address how relevent the drug is for your case).