• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Did you get correctly diagnosed with a mental illness before you were diagnosed with ME/CFS?

Were you CORRECTLY diagnosed with a mental health condition BEFORE you were diagnosed with ME/CFS?

• Total voters

Davsey27

I have also had periods of anxiety prior to CFS

Upon reflection I think working overtime a couple years
Ago for days in a row over a period of a couple months
About 3 years ago may have been a trigger in addition to herpes and emf.I think it may have been working with attempting to push through PEM which which I didn't know at the time.

Booble

Anxiety...so there appears to be overlap with anxiety and me/cfs with sensory overload,sensitivity to sound and light.Possibly a sign of the central sensitation

But is it the CFS that causes the anxiety or the anxiety that causes the CFS?
I think for some of us the CFS causes physical sensations and not feeling right which in terms causes the anxiety, not the other way around.

Davsey27

I think it may possible that anxiety can be symptom or a result of cfs from possible sensitivities like sound,noise overload ,brain inflammation, eeg abnormalities and other me/cfs characteristics

It may also be possible that anxiety is it own thing aside from cfs in individuals before developing Cfs

I can also see how CFS can be a major stressful event to ones life.Good question though.I think the triggering factor for me may have been more than one variable when I got CFS like stress from overwork and trying to appear to be tough working overtime combined with viruses and too much screentime/emf exposure

Though it's possible that I may have gotten CFS at some point without overworking and from the viruses and environmental factors

lenora

Here is an article I found in how there may be a connection to viruses,mitochondria,mental health and Me/cfs

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WMAl6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw0-lTwlYxk1MGzTL-2Nd6R-

Davesey27, hello. This is not the first time that I have read about a connection between ME and Bipolar Disease. It makes me feel guilty to know that 3 possibly 4 members in my biological family were infected with possibly the same virus that I have, but in their cases it caused Bipolar Disease. Since lithium did nothing for them, and this was at the beginning of treatment with drugs, it took considerable time to find the right combination that worked for them. Still, it was difficult to live with them and, in the end, the treatment that always worked best turned out to be shock treatments. Today they're so good that people have them early in the morning and then go onto work for the day. All things change...and it was a last resort effort that I had to agree to so that someone very beloved wasn't committed by the state to a state mental hospital for at least 18 mos. Within a few hours the situation had changed immensely.

So did I escape unscathed? Absolutely not, as I developed ME in at least my very early 20's, with thinking about it, I know exactly when the virus was activated and that was when I was 15 yrs. old. Please, I ask all of you to seriously think about any symptoms you may have had prior to full blown ME.

I'm certainly one of the oldest among you (74 yrs. of age come March), and I've lived with this in its worst state since the early '70's. About the same time as AIDS, and you can imagine how the govt. wanted to invest money into research for another disease of the immune system. Things have changed, however, and I think most of you will have a good chance of a cure (although I'm convinced that it will be more than one cure) and can once again lead productive lives. At least that is my wish for each of you.

I had 3 attacks of shingles probably 7-8 yrs. ago. I've had 4 altogether...again it fits the profile of the virus discussed in the article. These discoveries are all too late for me, and that's fine. I've been blessed in other ways. I have a true understanding of things that are completely out of our control and the devastation they can cause. I've learned a lot....and I never would have if I hadn't gone through this and the many other illnesses I have. I have learned and because of that I've been able to give of myself in ways that wouldn't have been possible before. Sometimes success takes many different forms....it isn't just about jobs and a salary.
I hope each of you will find your road to success as you travel life's road. Yours, Lenora.