• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poisoned by sleep, please help

Hope78

That for me is when brain is inflamed. I have to lower any new meds. Any new teas or food. If I cannot find the culprit, then antimflamtories do the trick ( advil, Celebrex....)

Is it also getting worse after sleep or is it independend from sleep?

Seven7

Seven
Mine was terrible, but it is I do not have proper stage 4 sleep (you will know because you wake up every 2h or so) I took an stage 4 inducer for a while (do not anymore) and my sleep was restful for the first time in years, I took them for 4y or so. A sleep study found the issue, I has to ask specifically since the sleep plp only looks for apnea but could see the issue when I pointed out (I asked them to look for it) because of a CFS study that said this.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Soxfan, I know exactly what you mean. It also leaves me completely useless the whole day until late in the night, when my system finally wakes up :eek:
@alldayeveryday @Hope78 @soxfan
The late-nite-waking effect screams cortisol and adrenal issues, specifically adrenal exhaustion. MECFS shares over 39 symptoms with Addison's Disease, which is entirely, or almost entirely, adrenal-insufficiency based. In fact, in reading thru the symptoms of Addison's, I found it hard to believe I wasn't on a MECFS site.

Maybe, at the risk of being accused of reductionism, you might want to resort to the Univ of Google and check out adrenal insufficiency, Addison's, and MECFS. There way be a simpler way to get from A to Z.

I know that by doing adrenal-based dietary and supplement adjustments, I've greatly reduced several of my symptoms, and improved several others. This doesn't preclude episodes of insomnia, PEMS, POTS, muscle and joint pains, spastic muscles and jerky marionette-type movements, severe global dizziness, nausea, head pressure and pain, ditto chest, and all the other many little treats this illness produces, but the incidence is greatly decreased, and usually requires a solid, negative trigger instead of just showing up whenever, willy-nilly. It's a vast improvement

I once took a monster dose melatonin
This is so far beyond a good idea that I don't know where to start. Melatonin is, after all, a hormone, and screwing with Mother Nature never ends particularly well. I take 1.5 mgs of melatonin at night to boost my odds of sleep, and it usually helps, except when it doesn't. I also use magnesium gylcinate and Vit C in small doses thru-out the day, and in a larger dose at night. When all else fails and I'm desperate, I take abt 1/4 of a Unisom tablet and that's almost always the magic bullet.

Good luck and God Speed. This is a mean biatch to deal with. Just hang in there and keep on punchin'.

Mrparadise

I think that this thread is highly interesting and I feel the exact same way! Did someone find something to help with this in the meantime?

@Seven7 What did you take? And why did you stop taking it if it helped you getting restorative sleep?

Seven7

Seven
@Seven7 What did you take? And why did you stop taking it if it helped you getting restorative sleep?
I take trazadone on and off. I try to get off it as much as I can, if I start waking up more than twice in a night then I restart, then I will stop and check if I am able to get off it so often. So I don't stay on it permanently, I try to take as little pills as possible to avoid side affects or randon symtptoms I do not know where they come from.

Mrparadise

Many thanks for your response! Would you say that you get fully restorative sleep when using trazodone? How much do you take?

bensmith

Ive heard about this on reddit too. Maybe its overstimuation of certain chemicals, so too much of a certain cycle maybe? Like its pushing you?

Mrparadise

Its just that for me sleep is key in finding a solution for ME/CFS (maybe just in my case but I could be wrong of course). And exactly that feeling of being poisoned in the morning and the frequent awakenings and being better of in the morning with less sleep makes me want to find a solution so badly.. So if anyone could have fixed that in order to get that restorative sleep back, please tell.

Mrparadise

Actually I was addicted to weed 2 years before my CFS started. I was living with a friend and we used to smoke all day but all of a sudden I got very anxious from THC. I then decided to stop completely. About a year ago I tried it again and as anxiety after smoking weed was still present, I decided to let it be. I became extremely anxious just before my CFS started (panik attacks almost every day). Now I am still highky affected by anxiety but I do not have panic attacks anymore. Being tired all day and being extremely anxious all the time really sucks...