• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please help: Will tilt table testing cause bad PEM/crash?

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Maybe a really dumb question but do you think I could partially drive after this testing?
I would think it really depends upon how hindered your system is driving normally. It is a long test, but except for the last 10 minutes, you are lying down the whole time. If it is a dysautonomia test (combined with tilt table) then you do some breathing exercises here and there, but I didn't find it to be too much for me. Of course, I'm pretty used to being short on O2 and breath, so it wasn't much different. 🙄 I almost dosed off a few times during the reset periods... maybe from being short on air... 🤔
Also, the tilt table should go for 10 minutes, but you can have them stop at anytime if the position becomes too much.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I would think it really depends upon how hindered your system is driving normally.
I can drive now. I don't go out often because it takes energy to walk...that's the hardest part for me...getting to my car and then going into places where I have to walk and then coming back in the house.

It's a big facility so I think I really will ask for a transport wheelchair and pray they can do that to and from the appt.

I kinda hope they do a longer tilt though just in case it doesn't show anything after 10 minutes although my poor man's test in the doctor's office last year for 9 minutes did. They are also going to give me something to test autonomic sweating function...something called a QSART test. ??

I was shaky after my poor man's test but still managed to get home.

Thanks for responding. It makes me feel better about trying it this way. :)

Jyoti

Maybe a really dumb question but do you think I could partially drive after this testing?
No, this is a really good question @Judee. My neurologist insisted I have a driver, though that was for the entire range of dysautonomia tests. And I was glad to have one. After the testing, I was totally fried and would not have been safe driving.

The first time I had a tilt table it was stand-alone and I drove. I was ok.

So maybe if you have just the truncated journey to navigate, but make sure you give yourself time.

I know this is an old thread but I'm loathe to always start a new one on the same topic.

Maybe a really dumb question but do you think I could partially drive after this testing? My sister's work is nearby to the hospital. She's offered to take me on the day of the testing but I didn't want her to take the whole afternoon off and come all the way to my house to get me.

I was planning on driving to her work, having her take me to the test place and dropping me off at the building (was told I can request a wheelchair transport). Then I would text her to come back and pick me up after the test is finished. (The paperwork says it is a 2.5 hour test.) However, I would still need to drive from her work back to my home then.

Any thoughts?

I think she would be willing to take the time off and come get me from my house, but she's very helpful to a lot of people in our family so she takes off kinda often.

Even though she's salary and her bosses seem pretty understanding, I just don't want to add to that all that much if I can help it. :nervous:
It will depend how you react to the test, I would not have been able to drive after I was very confused/spaced out, during the test I felt nauseous and faint from pre syncope symptoms. This is because I have Postural/Orthostatic Hypotension and the test was causing my blood pressure to drop (a lot). Obviously it served it's purpose and diagnosed an issue I could then have treatment for, but I felt awful. My mum however doesn't have POTS, OH etc and she was perfectly fine when she had one for a different reason. So it will depend what they find. If you think it is likely to pick something up then I would suggest you assume you won't feel up to driving straight away as it's designed to stress your heart if you have postural problems. If it is being done to rule things out and not so likely to pick anything up you may be okay.

Judee

I have that test next week. They gave me a list of what medications to stop and when but does anyone have any recommendations on which supplements to stop?

For instance, is it a good idea to stop taking any and all vitamins and minerals supplements ahead of time? Anything else?

Judee

My sister is so nice. She's going to pick me up at home and then bring me back again. We agree there is no reason for her to wait while I have the 2.5 hour testing though especially since she just works about 10 minutes away from the location.

I feel a better knowing I won't have to try to drive myself home afterward though. :)

Jyoti

I think that is great, Judee. The testing can be quite stressful and this way, you won't have to worry or stress about driving on top of it.