• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

please help me interpret these cortisol results...

kelly8

Hi,
I'm hoping someone might have some experience with this. I've tried googling it but can't seem to understand the results. I did the dexamethasone suppression test and my am cortisol came back at .6ug/dl. So ridiculously low. I feel like death and haven't been able to recover today. The range in this test was 2.5-19.5. So I am way out of the range. Does anyone know what this means? This is my first time going to an endo Dr and I've never had these tests before. My brain feels like mush so I was having problems figuring out what is going on. Thank you for any input...
Kelly

kelly8

I still have one test left to take. The earliest I could book it was in November. I'm on a waiting list for the test to try and get it earlier. I believe this is what you are taking about? Were they supposed to do it together?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hi,
I'm hoping someone might have some experience with this. I've tried googling it but can't seem to understand the results. I did the dexamethasone suppression test and my am cortisol came back at .6ug/dl. So ridiculously low. I feel like death and haven't been able to recover today. The range in this test was 2.5-19.5. So I am way out of the range. Does anyone know what this means? This is my first time going to an endo Dr and I've never had these tests before. My brain feels like mush so I was having problems figuring out what is going on. Thank you for any input...
Kelly

It is a long time since I asked for one of these and I do not know exactly what your lab ranges imply but this looks very normal to me. The idea of the dexamethasone suppression test is that the dexamethasone should switch off your own cortisol - to pretty much zero. If it does not switch it off then there is a possibility of an adrenal adenoma causing Cushing's syndrome. The range you give looks like a normal range for pre-dexamethasone. After dexamethasone the normal result would be near zero.