• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Plasmapheresis: does it remove GPCR autoantibodies?

Dear all

I got ME/CFS after my second Moderna dosis in June 2021.
It started with heart issues and PEM, and developed into ME/CFS. My main issues are POTS and PEM.
My overall state got worse and worse over this year.

Many with LongCovid or Vaccine injury try either H.E.L.P. Apharesis (against the microbloodclots) or Immunadsorbtion (to remove the GPCR Autoantibodies).

But then there is also the Plasmapheresis... and this got recommended to me, to be safer, less demanding on the body, less complications, and most important: It should also, like the Immunadsorbtion (with Fresenius Globaffin Filter), remove the autoantibodies.

But I don't know if that is actually true.
There are all kinds of different autoantibodies... and relevant in my case would be the GPCR AAB, which are suspected to be one of the main issues with LongCovid or, in my case, "longcovid"/ME/CFS from the vaccine.

But before I might go into the plasmapheresis, I really need to know:

- Does plasmapheresis (which is differnt from Immunadsorbtion), with centrifuge instead of filters, actually really remove GPCR ABB?

- How "light" on the body is plasmapheresis for an ME/CFS patient? Are there reports of people getting into a worse state after this? Or can it be considered "safe"?

If anyone could help with that would be great.
Thanks a lot,
Oliver

Thank you.
Not sure if I understand the first link... I don't see any study or abstract in that link... it's "empty"... or I'm blind.

Regarding the second one: So you suggest the GPCR autoantibodies are not relevant?
I don't know, but the Berlin Charité recently came up with this:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2022.981532/abstract
https://www.charite.de/service/pres...nfektionskrankheiten_was_steckt_hinter_mecfs/

That and that Immunadsorbtion seems to help some LongCovid patients made me hopeful.
But some doctors are, like I said, recommending Plasmaspheresis instead of Immunadsorbtion.

Therefore me questions:

- Does plasmapheresis (which is differnt from Immunadsorbtion), with centrifuge instead of filters, actually really remove GPCR ABB?

- How "light" on the body is plasmapheresis for an ME/CFS patient? Are there reports of people getting into a worse state after this? Or can it be considered "safe"?

Thank you.
Not sure if I understand the first link... I don't see any study or abstract in that link... it's "empty"... or I'm blind.

The link works for me. Nevertheless, the paper is entitled
Hop to It: The First Animal Model of Autoimmune Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.

and you can download it. In the last section there is a brief discussion on the advantages/disadvantages of potential treatments to remove GPCR aabs, including plasmapheresis.