• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Physio - what to ask for?

PracticingAcceptance

Following a trapped nerve issue (see here https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...d-nerve-common-with-me-cfs.60568/#post-986057) a friend of mine said 'If you're lying in bed so much and it's starting to cause problems, why don't you see a physiotherapist?'

So I asked my gp to refer me and they have! :) I said I'm stuck because I'm doing a small amount of gentle yoga and that's the most I can do, and my muscles are still getting weaker. I'd exercise more if I had the energy but I don't. They understand the catch-22 I'm in. I said I wanted to know if I'm lying in bed in a bad position and causing problems.

Please tell me if any of you have been in physio before... what should I expect, what should I ask for, what should I avoid? Did it help?

I've heard about osteopaths/Perrin - I don't understand the difference between that and physiotherapy - has anyone had both? Did one help more than the other? Were they for different things?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Please tell me if any of you have been in physio before... what should I expect, what should I ask for, what should I avoid? Did it help?
I regularly see a physical therapist and it help me a lot but my issues are different--I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Each time she gets my joints back in place and she works with me on exercises that will help the muscles compensate for the "stretchy" connective tissue. She is very aware of the limits that ME/CFS and OI put on me.

alkt

in my experience a physio will concentrate on helping you with the immediate problem you present with . for trapped pinched nerves the show you some helpful exercises and of course do some hands on assessment . I have no doubt they will discuss any postural issues you bring up . hope they can be very helpful for your problems . trapped pinched nerves cause ridiculous amounts of pain that we really can do without best wishes .

Lisa108

As a physiotherapist myself (I guess that's what you'd call a physical therapist) I learned some techniques to 'manipulate' joints, tendons, muscles. That means, using my hands to move your body parts to enhance/restore the range of motion. These techniques are very soft, still they can help to de-block joints or de-trap nerves and regulate the tension in your muscles.

The training of osteopaths is much deeper (usually additional 5 years on top of the physio education), they can do magic with their hands.

So for the acute problem I'd see an osteopath. For the chronic problem (wrong body posture due to much sitting/lying) I'd go to a physical therapist, get some massages and learn about easy stretching techniques, and some info about reducing neck/back strain.

Some of my 'colleagues' are all into sports and training. Make sure you'll find one that gets that we can't do that. People who offer 'softer' techniques like Feldenkrais, Maitland, Craniosacral therapy, are (IMO) also softer to their patients... ;)

I too have quite regularly pain in the neck (from staring onto the screen too long), the hips (from sitting too long), etc. It can't be totally avoided, I guess, as we simply can't build up muscles without the backlash of PEM...

I'm seeing an osteopath and it's made a lot of difference. I was having problems with my knees and back but he very gently stretched the muscles (it hardly felt like he was doing anything). Next time he is going to work on my neck/head pain. Not all of them are great, but mine is. I'm lucky.

PracticingAcceptance

Wow, thanks everyone. Collectively, you are tons better than what google can tell me. :D :D

For the chronic problem (wrong body posture due to much sitting/lying) I'd go to a physical therapist, get some massages and learn about easy stretching techniques, and some info about reducing neck/back strain.

This is what I need most. I do gentle yoga but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right moves to help my particular situation.

it's made a lot of difference

Yay! That gives me hope for myself :)

People who offer 'softer' techniques like Feldenkrais, Maitland, Craniosacral therapy, are (IMO) also softer to their patients... ;)

Ooh. Thank you, that's proper info. I'm not sure how much control I'll get over who I'll see since it's on the NHS, but hopefully I'll get a chance to influence things at the appropriate stage of the referral process.

Each time she gets my joints back in place and she works with me on exercises

Each time? How often do you have to go? :( I heard of EDS only recently. Sounds like you're managing it well :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Each time? How often do you have to go? :( I heard of EDS only recently. Sounds like you're managing it well :)
I go every 3 weeks because you can't "cure" EDS (it is genetic) you can only manage it. My physical therapist has also taught me techniques I can use at home, in between appointments, to ease joints back into place. A good physical therapist can help you live life more comfortably. :thumbsup: