• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phosphatidyl serine

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hi guys,

After peoples experience with PS and how it has helped them. From what i have read it can help lower cortisol levels etc. High night time cortisol levels can be a cause of sleep problems so possibly can help with this. Also what dosage have others used, i have seen it recommended to use 800mg to lower cortisol which ends up being $$, but have also seen others using between 100-300mg as well, so its all abit conflicting.

People with adrenal fatigue are thought to have low cortisol and other adrenal hormones like dhea, but also an upside down type of cycle to what is normal ie normal is high in the morning and low at night, where some have low in the morning with no energy to high at night and unable to sleep. This high cortisol at night isnt high as in a normal persons high levels in the morning but high enough to disrupt sleep.

appreciate anyones replies,

cheers!!!

I started PS 2 weeks ago taking 400mgs. I am now sleeping soundly the minute my head touches the pillow until 8-9 am, sheer bliss. Not sleeping has been a real problem. I feel better, but I also started doing Rich's methylation protacol at the same time. The PS is mega expensive and I can only do this for 2 months, but to sleep is wonderful.

Jenny

Hi heaps - I was taking this as part of the methylation protocol for over a year. No improvement.

Jenny

alex3619

Hi heapreal, I took PS once, in the 90s. It immediately induced a major and serious crash, within an hour or so. The severity was so bad I have never tried it again. It may have been a dosage thing though - starting really low and increasing slowly might have helped. This was before I had started doing pyramid dosing (low... increasing slowly to high... back down to where I first noticed a response).

Bye,
Alex

undcvr

If PS is too expensive for you try Ashwaghanda, or Indian Ginseng. It is a herb and works on cortisol too. Take it at about 6-8pm at nite to start its effects by the time you hit the pillow.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi heapreal, I took PS once, in the 90s. It immediately induced a major and serious crash, within an hour or so. The severity was so bad I have never tried it again. It may have been a dosage thing though

Bye,
Alex

I did fine with a low dose of PS complex while on methylation supplements, but when I tried raising it I had a severe and scary cardiac reaction. So again, we all react differently but I agree with Alex that starting low with anything new is a good idea.

Sushi

ukxmrv

I really like this supplement but it was too expensive for me to continue to take. Took it at night and it helped sleep and brain functioning. Had less brain fog on it. No side effects that I notcied.

heapsreal

Thanks for the reponses guys. I will start with a low dose and increase every few days to no more then 300mg, if it helps sleep i will fork out the$$ for it but if it doesnt i will move onto something else like withania which i think is ashwaghanda. I am using methyl b12 at the moment but havent added folate yet, as like most of u have said that u have tried PS as apart of methylation protocol. Also i would just like to mention australian customs sux, i order kava from iherb with other supps and got my kava rejected, now i know i can order kava in australia but it costs twice as much(iherb were great and refunded me my money, thanks iherb), i dont understand, also as i write this its 330am, so i hope the PS helps me sleep, lol, hopefully gets here next week. I think using pregnenolone an adrenal hormone as kick started something but my cortisol secretions are out of whack, maybe, as the insomnia seems worse then normal.

Alex do u think when u took PS u had low cortisol maybe, just a hunch, as maybe i should do some testing first.

cheers!!!

alex3619

Hi heapsreal, I don't think I took PS for any direct hormonal properties, at the time I was working a cell membrane hypothesis, or it may have been due to something that Dr Deed said.

I did sleep well on kava once, but that was a long time ago, and the faces staring out at me from all the curtains were a worry.

Bye
Alex

heapsreal

Im not sure if it was the phos serine or not but after taking it i was feeling sleepy but not quite enough to sleep on my own, so i popped some sleepers and was out cold for 9 hours, so i think it has definately helped improve my sleep quality. I will see if i can repeat this tomorrow.

cheers!!!