• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phenylephrine Alters Phase Synchronization between Cerebral Blood Velocity and Blood Pressure in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with Orthostatic Intolerance

pattismith

Phenylephrine Alters Phase Synchronization between Cerebral Blood Velocity and Blood Pressure in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with Orthostatic Intolerance​

Abstract​

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) with orthostatic intolerance (OI) is characterized by neuro-cognitive deficits perhaps related to upright hypocapnia and loss of cerebral autoregulation (CA).

We performed N-back neurocognition testing and calculated the phase synchronization index (PhSI) between Arterial Pressure (AP) and cerebral blood velocity (CBV) as a time-dependent measurement of cerebral autoregulation in 11 control (mean age=24.1 years) and 15 ME/CFS patients (mean age=21.8 years).

All ME/CFS patients had postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS). A 10-minute 60⁰ head-up tilt (HUT) significantly increased heart rate (109.4 ± 3.9 vs. 77.2 ± 1.6 beats/min, P <0.05) and respiratory rate (20.9 ± 1.7 vs. 14.2 ± 1.2 breaths/min, P < 0.05) and decreased end-tidal CO2 (ETCO2; 33.9 ± 1.1 vs. 42.8 ± 1.2 Torr, P < 0.05) in ME/CFS vs. control

In ME/CFS, HUT significantly decreased CBV compared to control (-22.5% vs -8.7%, p<0.005).

To mitigate the orthostatic CBV reduction, we administered supplemental CO2, phenylephrine and acetazolamide and performed N-back testing supine and during HUT.

Only phenylephrine corrected the orthostatic decrease in neurocognition by reverting % correct n=4 N-back during HUT in ME/CFS similar to control (ME/CFS=38.5±5.5 vs. ME/CFS+PE= 65.6±5.7 vs. Control 56.9±7.5).

HUT in ME/CFS resulted in increased PhSI values indicating decreased CA. While CO2 and Acetazolamide had no effect on PhSI in ME/CFS, PE caused a significant reduction in PhSI (ME/CFS=0.80±0.03 vs ME/CFS+PE= 0.69±0.04, p< 0.05) and improved cerebral autoregulation.

Thus, PE improved neurocognitive function in ME/CFS patients, perhaps related to improved neurovascular coupling, cerebral autoregulation and maintenance of CBV.

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpregu.00071.2024

pattismith

Good find @pattismith Some unpleasant side effects with this drug but interesting to see the theraputic possibilities of it.
I remember a time in my life when I used PE to help me coming out of bed.

The side effect after some months was shaking hands, so I had to stop it.

What I find interesting is that it becomes more and more obvious that brain fog is related to bad cerebral vascular autoregulation. (with or without POTS)

I feel we also have altered cerebral fluid regulation as a secondary effect.