• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phase I trials for an Eppstein Barr vaccine are being initiated

lenora

Hello @Rufous McKinney.....Interesting and I'll pass this info along to my daughters as two of my grandchildren are at this particular age. Thinking about it, neither of my two (ages 50 & 47) never had EBV, which I consider to be a minor miracle, especially in the college years.

So many choices to make....Yours (& thanks)....Lenora.

Rufous McKinney

Thinking about it, neither of my two (ages 50 & 47) never had EBV, which I consider to be a minor miracle, especially in the college years.

well we shall see- we are told everybody just about ends up exposed, and I can confirm kissing isn't involved.

So it might be something you'd need to get really young, not wait til college.

My older brother claims he never had mono. I'm not sure he really even would remember.

Rufous McKinney

This paper discusses the theories behind this type of vaccine for Eppstein Barr- 2015

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4757492/

Rational Design of an Epstein-Barr Virus Vaccine Targeting the Receptor-Binding Site
Masaru Kanekiyo, Wei Bu, [...], and Gary J. Nabel

from the abstract-

By focusing presentation of the CR2-binding domain on nanoparticles, potent neutralizing antibodies were elicited in mice and non-human primates. The structurally designed nanoparticle vaccine increased neutralization 10- to 100-fold compared to soluble gp350 by targeting a functionally conserved site of vulnerability, improving vaccine-induced protection in a mouse model. This rational approach to EBV vaccine design elicited potent neutralizing antibody responses by arrayed presentation of a conserved viral entry domain, a strategy that can be applied to other viruses.

Rufous McKinney

EBV reactivation if taken after getting EBV.

My immediate thought was this will never help me, but maybe it can help many others in the future.

But if it would go after reactivitations? Which we may experience? :angel::thumbsup:

Maybe we could suggest they include a large COHORT of existing victims, and gather data on us concurrently in Phase II and III. THey have lots of clients.

(Oh, wonder what it will cost).