• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Petition against criteria the CDC are using for research

Dolphin

I thought I'd give this an extra thread to make it stand out. It's on the cohorts issue.

For those that don't know, the CDC used its empiric criteria (Reeves et al., 2005) in the negative Switzer XMRV study in Retrovirology.

There's a petition against it at:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/empirical_defn_and_cfs_research/ with some links to other information and critiques of the criteria.

These criteria have also been used in other "dodgy" CFS research e.g. the two CDC studies that linked CFS to childhood abuse.

Dolphin

In the Switzer study, there was one or more CFS patients who scored 100 on the SF-36 physical functioning scale.

That means they answered "No, not limited at all", to all of these questions (these are the questions for the physical functioning subscale: basically "Yes, Limited A Lot" gets you 0 points for that question; "Yes, Limited A Little" gets you 5 and "No, not limited at all" gets you 10 so scale is 0-100).

Reference:
SF-36 physical functioning 65.5, range 10 -100
This average score is higher than you generally see in CFS studies.

4. The following items are about activities you might do during a typical day. Does your health now limit you in these activities? If so, how much?
(check one on each line) ACTIVITIES

Yes, Limited A Lot

Yes, Limited A Little

No, Not Limited At All

a. Vigorous activities, such as running, lifting heavy objects, participating in strenuous sports

b. Moderate activities, such as moving a table, pushing a vacuum cleaner, bowling, or playing golf

c. Lifting or carrying groceries

d. Climbing several flights of stairs

e. Climbing one flight of stairs

f. Bending, kneeling, or stooping

g. Walking more than a mile

h. Walking several blocks

i. Walking one block

j. Bathing or dressing yourself

Dolphin

MFI-20 reduced activity question

MFI Reduced Activity 12.8, range 4 – 20

Reduced Activity.
The questions are:

I think I do very little in a day

I think I do a lot in a day

I get little done

I feel very active

Each scale contains four items rated from 1 to 5 with the scale score of 1=completely true and the scale score of 5 = no, not true." (not this is reversed for questions 1 and 3 i.e. for them
5=completely true and the scale score of 1= no, not true.

A score of 4 makes one wonder does the person have "proper" CFS.
Of course using the MFI-20 reduced activity scale also has problems as a threshold.
If one scores >=10 (greater than or equal to 10), one qualifies as having fatigue. However, a "lazy" or depressed person might score that without necessarily having fatigue.

citybug

Thanks. We really need to get rid of this definition. It is stealing the CFS research money.

*GG*

I thought I'd give this an extra thread to make it stand out. It's on the cohorts issue.

For those that don't know, the CDC used its empiric criteria (Reeves et al., 2005) in the negative Switzer XMRV study in Retrovirology.

There's a petition against it at:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/empirical_defn_and_cfs_research/ with some links to other information and critiques of the criteria.

These criteria have also been used in other "dodgy" CFS research e.g. the two CDC studies that linked CFS to childhood abuse.

Signed. This reminds me of Garbag in = Garbage out (GI=GO)

citybug

2313 signatures so far. Started in April.

Those activity figures are amazing.