• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PEM & Sensory Overload From Flourescent lights

Zebra

Hi @crypt0cu1t

This was a HUGE problem for me, especially during and after doctors appointments, because the exam rooms always had overhead fluorescent lights!

Back in the day, about 6 years ago, I did a ton of research and ended up investing in a pair of glasses with specially tinted lenses from the University of Utah. I believe they are refered to as FL-41.

There are many knockoffs available online, but for me, it was worth the time and effort to coordinate with the eye center at the University of Utah, send them a pair of frames, and get the specially tinted lenses installed. I got "plano" lenses, which means zero eye correction. If you regularly wear prescription lenses you can get those made and tinted as well.

Honestly, theses made a huge difference for me, and I not only wear them in florescent light situations, but also when using the computer.

Here's a link:

https://healthcare.utah.edu/moran/optometry/fl41-lenses.php

I hope you, and others, find this info helpful.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Does anyone else experience severe worsening of symptoms following flourescent lights in stores?

Fluorescent and LED light are terrible for increasing my symptoms. I rely on incandescent bulbs in my house. I also can't tolerate modern computer displays. I rely on an old laptop with a faded display set to light text on a dark background. Even with that compensation I can't tolerate it for more than a few hours per day, and still get increased brainfog and some other symptoms.