• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PEM cut in half from veggies and meat

andyguitar

I wonder what healthy eating and nutrition feels like not sick with cfs.
You would feel good. Balanced. Neither up or down. Like everything is ok in the world. In the west we tend to look at nutrition in the sense of what nutrients a food contains ie vits, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids. It's not like that in other societies. It's about balance. Western diet is not balanced. Foods that cool include.....Grapefruit, Banana, Tomato, Watercress, Pears, Pineapple, Watermelon, Mushroom (the ordinary ones not Shiitake). Bit short of meat that cools but Clams and Crab do. Pork, Beef and Shrimp are seen as neutral both yin and yang so wont heat you up. If I remember right there is a ChinaTown in your city. If you want to find out how to have a balanced diet thats the place to head for. Medicinal food is very popular with the Chinese.

HABS93

Have you tried low dose naltrexone to neuroprotek? Both massively help my brain. It’s my body that can’t move. But we are all different.
I don't know how to get it and it's on my list to try! My body is doing well physically except my knees joints are sore and stiff from work but NAG supplement apparently heals cartilage so I'm excited to see if it takes my sore kneees away.
@raghav Really weird part for me wwas the beginning. I was s getting this weird glitches where randomly it felt like I was about to fall and my stomach would drop. For 1milisecond my eyes blacked out. Then it would only happen when I smoked weed. Two years later I went away from a ssri and would occasionally appear if I was multi tasking at work. Nothing is permanent except the fact wwe will always have CFS. However very mild cfs sounds better then severe . Don't give up and try different things. I know the most but it took me over a year to even have guesses of what's going on. In the end we all die and will go somewhere here CFS will never afffect us again 😊

HABS93

You would feel good. Balanced. Neither up or down. Like everything is ok in the world. In the west we tend to look at nutrition in the sense of what nutrients a food contains ie vits, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids. It's not like that in other societies. It's about balance. Western diet is not balanced. Foods that cool include.....Grapefruit, Banana, Tomato, Watercress, Pears, Pineapple, Watermelon, Mushroom (the ordinary ones not Shiitake). Bit short of meat that cools but Clams and Crab do. Pork, Beef and Shrimp are seen as neutral both yin and yang so wont heat you up. If I remember right there is a ChinaTown in your city. If you want to find out how to have a balanced diet thats the place to head for. Medicinal food is very popular with the Chinese.
Hah yes there's a chinatown in Toronto! I haaveennt gone downtown in awhile. Grapefruit is something you mentioned on another post. Where would I go is there a medicinally food doctor that exist ?

stefanosstef

I became a smoothie man myself yesterday hehe :D

I hadn't gone shopping yet so I made my first with what I could find in my house.Not so smoothie as the only green or vegetable it had was 1 banana, but the taste was excellent!

1.5 cup goat milk (bio)
2/3 of a full scoop protein powder (15gr+, mild chocolated taste)
2 tsp raw cacao powder
2 tsp cacao nibs
1 tbsp chia seeds
1.5tsp nigella sativa seeds
1.5tsp cashew butter
1 banana
1tbsp coconut oil
2tsp maca root powder

If it was a morning one I would add the right amount of Guarana powder to get at least 150mg caffeine, but I drank it at night so I stopped there :p

andyguitar

Where would I go is there a medicinally food doctor that exist ?
You could try The Best of Chinese Medicine clinic it's at 379 Danforth Avenue. They do accupuncture and herbal medicine and food therapy. They should be able to give you some good advice about what sort of diet would be best for you. Dont worry they wont suggest you start eating bats!!

Wishful

Have you had any success with veggies at all?

I had a slight benefit from something ( possibly lactucin or lactucopicrin) in lettuce and also from dandelion root coffee, but it stopped working after a week or two. During my rotation diet phase, I tried quite a few veggies that I'd never eaten before, but lettuce and dandelion root were the only two that gave a noticeable effect.

Keep a journal so you can so what was different about your good days and your bad days.

My food/activity/symptoms journal is nearly 20 years long now. :eek: It has been very useful though. It even saved my life, by revealing how niacin was inducing strong suicidal moods.

HABS93

Anyone know why my stomach gets aches everyday ? It's really strange. It's not painful just achey. This started before I started taking probiotics sso that's not it. I didn't take one of my supplements that I thought was caaussing it. Unless it's the multi men . Maybe I don't really need one because I get alot of minerals and vitamins now from food. I. Don't think it's coffee but if I drink too much coffee then it feels achey.

HABS93

This is probably one of those questions that has scores of different answers for other people. My stomach gets unhappy after too many carb-only meals. Some meat or even peanut butter solves that.
This is ironic. I ate chicken and spinach and it felt fine after. The obvious answer is coffee but I've never had a problem . I've been lacking Abit on water only 2L a day.

Wishful

The obvious answer is coffee but I've never had a problem

One thing I feel is important for PWME is to retest things every so often. What is safe at one time, may become a problem later. What works well at one time may stop working later. All of the things that worked well for me stopped working eventually; I have no working treatments at present. Meat was safe for years, then became a problem, then was treated by supplemental carnitine, then stopped being a problem, and now I'm questioning it again. You may have put coffee on your 'safe' list, but that doesn't mean that it stayed there.

I expect there are some people out there who are getting worse symptoms from some treatment that worked well at one time, but they keep taking it because they don't question that it's still working.

HABS93

One thing I feel is important for PWME is to retest things every so often. What is safe at one time, may become a problem later. What works well at one time may stop working later. All of the things that worked well for me stopped working eventually; I have no working treatments at present. Meat was safe for years, then became a problem, then was treated by supplemental carnitine, then stopped being a problem, and now I'm questioning it again. You may have put coffee on your 'safe' list, but that doesn't mean that it stayed there.

I expect there are some people out there who are getting worse symptoms from some treatment that worked well at one time, but they keep taking it because they don't question that it's still working.
It was the milk in the coffee. I realized bblack coffees with water in it worked well. Anything with diaary gives me stomach ache now .

HABS93

@HABS93 what are the ingredients and quantitys of your smoothies?
Two avocadoes , two cups of blueberries , one apple, two celery , two carrots , cup of chia seeds , water. I drink most of it with my breakfast then last bit with dinner. Lunch is chicken veggie stew . Dinner is 4 cups of spinach with rice , chicken (salmon every 3rd dinner). Salmon is pacific not atlantic as atlantic has alot of mercury in it.

JES

This is ironic. I ate chicken and spinach and it felt fine after. The obvious answer is coffee but I've never had a problem . I've been lacking Abit on water only 2L a day.

If you are only eating meat and vegetables chances are high you might be running into ketosis. This generally happens when your daily carb intake is less than 50g, but sometimes even slightly higher levels can push you there. Vegetables, especially green ones, are generally very low in carbs, so are avocados.

Reason I brought this up is that ketosis is usually a major change to your body, so it's not surprising to have stomach aches etc. I actually had to increase my carb intake back to around 100 grams as ketosis in long run made me feel dreadful, but this is all very individual.

HABS93

If you are only eating meat and vegetables chances are high you might be running into ketosis. This generally happens when your daily carb intake is less than 50g, but sometimes even slightly higher levels can push you there. Vegetables, especially green ones, are generally very low in carbs, so are avocados.

Reason I brought this up is that ketosis is usually a major change to your body, so it's not surprising to have stomach aches etc. I actually had to increase my carb intake back to around 100 grams as ketosis in long run made me feel dreadful, but this is all very individual.
I've never had a good diet in my life. I've added rice into my meals and gained 4 pounds in almost 3 months. I've always been 130-135lbs which sucked because as a hockey player I needed more weight to be physical. I don't think I'm ever going to figure out how to fix the brain fog. It's been over two years and feels more like permanent damage to the brain .