• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pediococcus to the rescue?

LINE

Synopsis:
>Bad microbes are problematic.
>The gut is the first place to look for pathogens.
>Pedioccocus is a newer probiotic discovery that is garnering attention for its ability to eradicate harmful microbes>
>Certain live foods contain pediococcus.

Food for thought (pun intended).

I have been reading voraciously about prebiotics and probiotics to resolve my gut issue. I used commercial grade probiotics for a long time without really much effect.

I moved over to naturally fermented foods such as Kefir which has always been helpful, and I found a liquid yogurt to also be helpful. I have done Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar as well (this is unpasteurized).

I have been researching both sauerkraut and Kimchi as new additions. I have been consuming the unpasteurized versions. There is considerable research on the microbes found in these two products. They contain lactic acid bacteria which is a general term for many types of bacteria. However, one microbe caught my attention which is pediococcus.

There are a multitude of research articles on PubMed concerning pediococcus and its ability to eradicate harmful bacteria including the mycobacterium that causes tuberculosis. Anti-Tuberculosis Activity of Pediococcus acidilactici Isolated from Young Radish Kimchi against Mycobacterium tuberculosis - PubMed (nih.gov)

Pediococcus is also able to eradicate listeria which is another dangerous pathogen.
Antibiofilm, AntiAdhesive and Anti-Invasive Activities of Bacterial Lysates Extracted from Pediococcus acidilactici against Listeria monocytogenes - PubMed (nih.gov)

Another study indicates that it is able to reduce biofilm formation caused by pseudomonas which is a gram negative bacteria that is difficult to treat.
Bacteriocin of Pediococcus acidilactici HW01 Inhibits Biofilm Formation and Virulence Factor Production by Pseudomonas aeruginosa - PubMed (nih.gov)

My nephew has been suffering with IBS and we tried a number of things which did not work but after 1 week on unpasteurized sauerkraut, it seems to be a turnaround. I believe that many who suffer with ME could well be having bad guts that are damaged from pathogenic organisms.