• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Patient Advocate: Translational medicine

leelaplay

Translational medicine
This is a catchy term. It is a bit difficult to understand the full ramifications of what it means. Certainly one of the hallmarks of this term is the non-ego based sharing of information. The Patient Advocate took an interest in a front page article in the NYTimes this morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/13/health/research/13alzheimer.html?ref=health

From what the Patient Advocate can understand, this article lays out, in a parallel field, what the Whittemore Peterson Institute is going to accomplish.

Hope123

"Translational Medicine" generally refers more to how research findings can be "translated" into clinical care. The issue at hand is that a fair amount of basic research happens in the labs but little of it actually translates to tests/ treatments that healthcare staff can use. Obviously some of this is limited by the trial-and-error process that is a natural part of science but there are also other factors, such as basic scientists not communicating with healthcare staff and vice versa about what each party needs. A second piece is that even when the research is solid, like in some areas of high blood pressure or diabetes care, there are obstacles in place that prevent it from being implemented -- e.g. insurance, health care systems, money, etc.

muffin

Interesting. Data sharing with CFS/ME is a problem. But a greater problem, it seems to me and other ultra smart people, is getting that medical research down into the clinical arena and into the hands of the doctors who must diagnose and treat. Now, how is that to be done?

Great thoughts HOPE123!!!!!