• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Parents Say I am Obsessive about my Health

Jackb23

Want me to do an intensive psychiatrist outpatient at a very good hospital. Say that I havent brought up ME/CFS in years, but at the same time I had found things that helped a ton but now that those things arent possibilities at the moment, I am back to my baseline without any crutches. Dad says that me researching is the problem and that if I just stop that, everything will go away.

Anyone else experience parents like this? I dont want to alienate myself from them, but also want a bit more understanding.

lyran

Yes, my parents don't believe in CFS either. It is just best to stop talking to them about it than spending energy trying to convince them. I don't have to live with them fortunately.

The disease is real to you, don't stop researching. At least we have this forum where we can discuss and share ideas.

linusbert

sadly i have similar experience.
also i am a bit older now close to 40, actually was pretty successful in life and never lazy, always doing things, having dreams, working non-stop because my work is my hobby, freelance/entrepreneur, beeing motivated. actually from money and professional POV i am (or was) most successful guy in the family.
and mother wasnt short to brag about it.
but then i became sick and now suddenly i am just lazy, need to push through... its all psychiatric anyways etc. no support from family neither emotional nor financial. at least they were nice too clean and quit my appartment after i was in nursing home and couldnt do it myself anymore.
no use talking to them, its just another sad reality i have to live with.

i have a friend which believes every disease is just a expression of the psyche of some soul problems. she is so convinced by this she even believes if she hypothetical would do a brainscan and wouldnt see the imagery or hear the results, she wouldnt get brain tumor. so she isnt doing doctors at all... which i somewhat can relate with but for different reasons.
when she talks about this, she actually sounds a bit nuts.
what i do not understand, her theories never helped her with her problems... but she keeps insisting they are correct...

some people are so convinced by their believings that they are not capable of any intro- and retrospection.
there is one vegan i know, which got sick because of that diet... needs to take a shit ton of vitamins and pills now, is eating organ meats, because of induced deficiencies and serious illnes but is insisting that this is the healthiest diet and everyone should do it. just take all the pills.
this is totally bonkers, i cannot believe people cannot see their own ideocracy. its like buying a garbage car from a junkyard and claiming this is the fastest car in the world - you just have to switch the engine... replace tires and put a sail ontop the roof...

Last edited:

lyran

sadly i have similar experience.
also i am a bit older now close to 40, actually was pretty successful in life and never lazy, always doing things, having dreams, working non-stop because my work is my hobby, freelance/entrepreneur, beeing motivated. actually from money and professional POV i am (or was) most successful guy in the family.
and mother wasnt short to brag about it.

Many or even most CFS/ME sufferers have been succesful, hard working, perfectionists before they got sick. I think that is one of the reasons we got sick.

linusbert

Many or even most CFS/ME sufferers have been succesful, hard working, perfectionists before they got sick. I think that is one of the reasons we got sick.
i noticed this as well.

but definitely not the reason for me. also that would imply that cfs would be a brutal form of "burnout" which i definitely would not accept as origin of this disease.

Rufous McKinney

Many or even most CFS/ME sufferers have been succesful, hard working, perfectionists before they got sick

I was warned about burn out, and mostly achieved it, anyway.

But thinking about this, I know plenty of people who are NOT burnt out now from their over achieving striving perfectionist ways. No, they get to enjoy still being able to function reasonably well.

And I have to not be jealous and petty and resentful. :bang-head:

GreenEdge

@Jackb23 Of course you're obsessive about your health, because until level 1 of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs is met, nothing else matters:

#1: Physiological Needs​

Physiological needs are the lowest level of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. They are the most essential things a person needs to survive. They include the need for shelter, water, food, warmth, rest, and health. A person’s motivation at this level derives from their instinct to survive.
Because that's the one thing that needs to be satisfied before you can focus on higher level needs.