• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paracetamol regular supplementation risks?

gm286

For me this experiment has slowly and steadily been building up to near certainty — when I use paracetamol (1 g) at night especially after a day at work and a very early rise (5:30AM), it ends up cutting / preventing my PEM for the following day. This is a practical strategy which I would love to apply more regularly because I know that it makes a big professional and performative difference.

My question: if I used paracetamol regularly, perhaps on a weekly basis (although I am still not sure how frequently I will require it), what are the health risks?

I have often heard that it will eventually cause liver problems and/or kidney problems. Is there anything I can do about this? A preventative approach, or supplementation which offsets the potential damage?

nerd

I think the kidney is more a downstream problem of abnormal liver function when the kidney has to do the job the liver is supposed to do and filter toxins. So the liver is the susceptible organ. Normally, you'd expect that health providers will regularly check your blood's liver enzymes. Especially the combination with other medications is risky, such as hepatoxic antibiotics.

Supplements such as curcumin have the purpose of upkeeping healthy liver function, not preventing damage to it. But a healthy liver might be more capable of dealing with hepatoxic effects.

Theoretically, there might still be a benefit if the gallbladder function is improved. The simple use of unheated olive oil can make a difference there.

Vitamin C has been researched for the purpose of preventing and treating liver disease. Omega 3 fatty acids are also considered.

Vitamin C in-vivo Effect on Liver Enzymes and Some Endogenous Antioxidants in
Paracetamol-Induced Model of Liver Toxicity on Wistar Rats (2019) [10.4314/jasem.v23i7.20]

wabi-sabi

Taking a lot of paracetamol/Tylenol all at once will cause liver failure in the take a handful in the morning and be in the ICU at bedtime sort of way.

The role of chronic use of paracetamol in liver failure is less clear. Talking to poison control or a healthcare person would be a good idea.

There is a daily does limit you need to stay under.

Living Dead

Talk to your doctors about this. He can take a blood test regularly to monitor.

In an otherwise healthy person with no other medications, 1 g less than 15 days a month should be no problem. More can give you medication induced headache.

Further, paracetamol depletes glutathione, which is an important antioxidant.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I believe I've read on a couple of occasions that hospitals use IV NAC in their emergency rooms for Paracetamol/Acetaminophen overdose.

I'm guessing that it is like an antidote to the damage but please research it more thoroughly.

Is NAC still a supplement that you can purchase without a prescription where you are?

gm286

@Judee Will check with my doctor. I rely on iherb for supplements. Seems they still sell it. I could always buy NAC over here as well (France).