• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pantothenic acid (B5) without any form of calcium

Peyt

Hello, I've noticed that the majority of B5 supplements available in the market are derived from D-Calcium Pantothenate or contain some form of calcium. Unfortunately, I experience issues with any calcium-containing supplements, as they tend to bind me and lead to constipation. Is anyone aware of an alternative B5 form that is completely free from any type of calcium?

datadragon

Pantethine is a highly absorbable and biologically active form of pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5) that you can find supplements for. So less may be needed also.

On a side note, At higher doses, Melatonin seems it can inhibit the activity of the serotonin transporter and cause constipation. Melatonin, produced in the gastrointestinal tract, influences gut motility. The reported effects of melatonin on GI motility seem to be dose dependent, because administration of pharmacological doses of melatonin seems to decrease motility and increase colonic transit time, whereas melatonin in lower concentrations seems to increase motility and decrease colonic transit time meaning high doses can increase constipation but low dose does not. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/hawthorn-berries-helping-a-lot-with-sleep.90261/post-2437320

Peyt

Pantethine is a highly absorbable and biologically active form of pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5) that you can find supplements for. So less may be needed also.

On a side note, At higher doses, Melatonin seems it can inhibit the activity of the serotonin transporter and cause constipation. Melatonin, produced in the gastrointestinal tract, influences gut motility. The reported effects of melatonin on GI motility seem to be dose dependent, because administration of pharmacological doses of melatonin seems to decrease motility and increase colonic transit time, whereas melatonin in lower concentrations seems to increase motility and decrease colonic transit time meaning high doses can increase constipation but low dose does not. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/hawthorn-berries-helping-a-lot-with-sleep.90261/post-2437320
Thanks,
I looked up Pantethine , but everything I found was either in softgels or it had some kind of a cellulose as a filler. I have SIBO so I have a tough time digesting anything with Cellulose or Bovine softgels... I wish they would just sell the Pantethine as a pure powder instead of all these fancy fillers or softgels!

linusbert

you might open the softgel and slurp out the ingredients. or bite on it in the mouth when you have the softgel with some food in your mouth which will crack it and spill the contents over the food, then spit out the empty softgel... thats how i do it. (but careful bite, because some gel capsules are really tough and you dont wont to bite your teeth out)

Last edited:

Dufresne

almost there...
In case you're looking to take it for adrenal issues: In my experience pantothene doesn't help rebuild stress hormones (adrenals), but pantothenic acid does. Not sure why this is. I know somebody else who has noticed this too. And I've read a couple naturopath pieces suggesting pantothenic acid may be better for rebuilding adrenals.

Peyt

In case you're looking to take it for adrenal issues: In my experience pantothene doesn't help rebuild stress hormones (adrenals), but pantothenic acid does. Not sure why this is. I know somebody else who has noticed this too. And I've read a couple naturopath pieces suggesting pantothenic acid may be better for rebuilding adrenals.
thank you.
I find it hard to believe that there isn't a calcium-free version of Pantothenic Acid available. My only choice seems to be through injections. However, to obtain that, I need to persuade my doctor to conduct a lab test to assess the B5 levels in my blood. If the results indicate a deficiency, I then have to convince my doctor to prescribe the injection, which I can only obtain from a compounding pharmacy since it's not readily accessible for purchase without a prescription. Quite a hassle!

Dufresne

almost there...
thank you.
I find it hard to believe that there isn't a calcium-free version of Pantothenic Acid available. My only choice seems to be through injections. However, to obtain that, I need to persuade my doctor to conduct a lab test to assess the B5 levels in my blood. If the results indicate a deficiency, I then have to convince my doctor to prescribe the injection, which I can only obtain from a compounding pharmacy since it's not readily accessible for purchase without a prescription. Quite a hassle!
It might be easier to go to a naturopath. This is their bread and butter.

Peyt

Source Naturals Pantethine (Not their Pantothenic Acid) contains 300mg of Pantethine Only! Wellk, with some additives...!
Thanks but source natuals Pantethine has cellulose which is terrible for someone with SIBO. It gives me a headache... Beleive me, I have looked at all the brands sold in USA. They either come with Calcium, cellulose, or some form of alchohol which is terrible for a person with digestion issues like SIBO.... And the funny part is , B5 is suppose to help bowel motility, but the way these manufacturers make it , it is imposible for those who can benefit from it to take it.
There is a different form of Pantothenic Acid which is made with Sodium instead of Calcium. But that one is only sold to labs and research companies and not to general public! go figure!
https://www.biorbyt.com/d-pantothen...-BTEfFUkXvYzmX6Gh-22ItiWHBgCCKxIaAn1rEALw_wcB

I guess it's because the sodium kind has a shorter shelf life.