• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain with changes in weather

allyann

I am in immense pain radiating in my hands, arms and legs. We are in the mist of storm season so the temperature is fluctuating from hot to humid to cold. Tonight I couldn't make it up the stairs and now I can't sleep because of the pain.

I am having to suck it up a lot as I can't take more than panadol due to being pregnant.

Does anyone else get worse with changes in weather?

Allie

November Girl

Allie, it's a big problem for me. Humidity hasn't bothered me nearly as much the past few years, but cold still does - especially when the cold front comes through. The house is well-insulated and warm, but my body still hurts and feels weaker.

Googsta

Doing Well
Hi Allyann

weather changes are a big issue in our house too. My husband has a spinal cord injury & we are both in agony until the new high or low settles in. The reason for this was explained to him by a Anaesthetist. Weather changes cause changes in atmospheric pressure which our nerves are sensitive to, once the nerves adjust or the pressure stabilizes the pain settles down again (hopefully). This is why so many people with a bung knee know when it's going to rain.
There are some good analgesic gels on the market that may be ok for pregnancy, otherwise heat packs are an absolute lifesaver!
Good Luck with the bub ;)

hurtingallthetimet

theres always pain and fatigue but the weather does seem to make it worse...ive metioned this to the doctor and the doctor said that alot of the patients say the same thing...i guess maybe the changes in pressure and temperature?

my head is feels like it is busting wide open today...and i have very very bad neck pains..i dont know if its stress..ive been very stressed last week or longer so maybe that..with combination of weather...

im getting ready to lay on heating pad hope it helps..hope you find somethign to help you..try to stay warm if its cold out and keep commfy : )

sianrecovery

me too Allyann, am in bad facial pain tonight. As googsta wrote, pressure changes affect pain, for me cold and humidity also play a part. I use some distraction techniques, and also massage the areas involved, and try stretching the skin - anything that stops the muscles tightening up, and breaks the brain's feedback loop. Alternating hot and cold can help with that.
fingers crossed for a pain free tomorrow xxxx