• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ozone Apparently Effective for Treating Interstitial Cystitis

Wayne

I recall a number of references to interstitial cystitis on Phoenix Rising, and it seems to be fairly common in people with ME/CFS. I read just this morning the section below on bladder infections from the book The Ozone Miracle, by Frank Shallenberger, M.D. (copyright 2017).

In the book, the author talks about how a person can set up their own system of ozone treatment at home, but there are also easier options to purchase things like ozonated olive oil capsules that a person can take internally to get started. I plan to order some today (more for gut health than for IC).

Here's what he had to say about bladder infections, with a focus on interstitial cystitis:

Bladder Infections
Bladder infections are usually best treated with antibiotics. If they are resistant, the bladder insufflation technique can be used in addition. But the most incredible use of the ozone bladder insufflation technique is for a very severe bladder disorder known as interstitial cystitis (IC). In 2015 I presented a study to the Cuban Ozone Therapy Society of 18 patents with severe and long standing IC that had not responded to any form of therapy.

Of this very difficult group 55% were completely cured and 30% were substantially improved after only three weeks of ozone therapy. However, because it is such a sifficult and painful problem, patients with IC should only treat themselves while under the supervision of a practitioner trained in treating this dosorder. You can find doctors trained in ozone therapy at www.aaot.us. -- (American Academy of Ozonotherapy)

Last edited:
Hi @Wayne thanks for this valuable information.
I keep looking through PR for ozone posts and am truly surprised to see so relatively few given the efficacy I’ve heard reported on other forums. I am looking for UBI a& ozone treatment in the U.K. to treat Epstein Barr Virus and hopefully take a leap forward in my recovery and leave ME/CFS behind. 12 days ago I started regular breath work and already I have seen some remarkable effects (I need to do it longer before I can post about it) - slept solidly through each night since I began (have severe insomnia which can still keep me awake entire night even with pills) and there has been marked energy uptake and reduction in neurological symptoms. Anyway responding to you in case this starts a useful conversation and to say it’s great to have this book reference.

PisForPerseverance

A couple things on your post- ic isn't a bladder infection but a bladder infection can occur while someone has ic. Autoimmunity is talked about as a cause, and the involvement of mast cells. Connective tissue is discussed especially for those with connective tissue disorders. Bleeding is found in the bladder in surgery. The lining is a problem. He's talking about bladder insufflations of ozone for ic, not other forms of ozone. Bladder insufflations didn't help me with ic at least. Ozone iv therapy combined with uvbi has helped with some symptoms like sore throat and gave me some health improvements like helped cognitive decline a lot. I'm restarting it soon. Thank you for posting.
I recall a number of references to interstitial cystitis on Phoenix Rising, and it seems to be fairly common in people with ME/CFS. I read just this morning the section below on bladder infections from the book The Ozone Miracle, by Frank Shallenberger, M.D. (copyright 2017).

In the book, the author talks about how a person can set up their own system of ozone treatment at home, but there are also easier options to purchase things like ozonated olive oil capsules that a person can take internally to get started. I plan to order some today (more for gut health than for IC).

Here's what he had to say about bladder infections, with a focus on interstitial cystitis:

Bladder Infections
Bladder infections are usually best treated with antibiotics. If they are resistant, the bladder insufflation technique can be used in addition. But the most incredible use of the ozone bladder insufflation technique is for a very severe bladder disorder known as interstitial cystitis (IC). In 2015 I presented a study to the Cuban Ozone Therapy Society of 18 patents with severe and long standing IC that had not responded to any form of therapy.

Of this very difficult group 55% were completely cured and 30% were substantially improved after only three weeks of ozone therapy. However, because it is such a sifficult and painful problem, patients with IC should only treat themselves while under the supervision of a practitioner trained in treating this dosorder. You can find doctors trained in ozone therapy at www.aaot.us. -- (American Academy of Ozonotherapy)

PisForPerseverance

And good luck let us know how it goes

Bladder Infections

Rufous McKinney

Autoimmunity is talked about as a cause, and the involvement of mast cells. Connective tissue is discussed especially for those with connective tissue disorders. Bleeding is found in the bladder in surgery. The lining is a problem. He's talking about bladder insufflations of ozone

I have considerable bladder challenges, while not understanding whats going on very well.

Extremely limited capacity, and extremely frequent need to go.

- after drinkig a liter of water, for an ultrasound, the technician stated - your bladder is not full. I was ready to go right on the floor. I saw an image, but virtually no info was provided to me: what is with my bladder?

what is with medical Technicians ?

Question- I get real severe bladder spasms due to the anxiety of, say the airplane. or Driving Thru San Francisco, land of no available bathroom. Even on the Xanax, I'm literally in tremendous pain for the entire 5 hour flight (oh that only took me four months to possibly recover from ).

Wayne

12 days ago I started regular breath work and already I have seen some remarkable effects (I need to do it longer before I can post about it) - slept solidly through each night since I began (have severe insomnia which can still keep me awake entire night even with pills) and there has been marked energy uptake and reduction in neurological symptoms.

Hi @KateM -- I must say, that's a pretty remarkable testimonial! I'm very interested in those breathing techniques, as I too have chronic issues with sleep. If you could leave a link or something, I'd very much appreciate it!

I hear what you're saying about wanting to do something longer before deciding to post on it. I have it in mind to post more extensively on my experience with some thoracic extension exercises, which have made a huge shift for me. Sometimes the seemingly most simple and innocuous things can have an almost miraculous effect.

Here's a link to a post where I first started mentioning those exercises, somewhat ironically on a thread having to do with sleep. -- @Mary

PisForPerseverance

I'm sorry. I cant think of what might be going on with airplanes and your bladder, it happens everytime? In general those are all interstitial cystitis symptoms. Does it hurt sometimes when it's full, or when you go? The pain can often be worse for ic when it's full or filling, and not when you go, but can also be when you go. Can be constant though. Depending on how bad it is. Intermittent flares are common. I control mine through eating a low oxalate diet, but I still get pain and flares, usually when the amount of oxalates is higher. Acidic foods and drinks and other things are supposed to cause symptoms in ic but I don't eat any of those things anyway so I'm just going from others experiences. They call it an ic diet. My bladder doesn't fill all the way up either. Anyway mine didn't start that long ago and it's progressive so I'm gunna be trying some different bladder insufflations. If your bladder hurts or if the other symptoms bother you and you want to pursue treatment let me know and I can tell you about that.
I have considerable bladder challenges, while not understanding whats going on very well.

Extremely limited capacity, and extremely frequent need to go.

- after drinkig a liter of water, for an ultrasound, the technician stated - your bladder is not full. I was ready to go right on the floor. I saw an image, but virtually no info was provided to me: what is with my bladder?

what is with medical Technicians ?

Question- I get real severe bladder spasms due to the anxiety of, say the airplane. or Driving Thru San Francisco, land of no available bathroom. Even on the Xanax, I'm literally in tremendous pain for the entire 5 hour flight (oh that only took me four months to possibly recover from ).

Rufous McKinney

I'm sorry. I cant think of what might be going on with airplanes and your bladder, it happens everytime?

Gosh, I Missed all this!

Its anxiety triggered on trips....so it calms back to just a low capacity, but not boiling over having spasms...

I was on half a Xanax, to no effect for 5 hours of screaming pain/plane

My bladder is low capacity, with no explanation of that. I had an episode snorkling, wherein I stayed out too long, got cold, and could not pee for over an hour- it almost injured me somehow. My urethra at times does not want to release.

I get mostly incomplete release, so I pee frequently, and I also don't drink very much liquids. Like the opposite of hydrated.

I'm not really taking any herbs much these days to address much of this .

I am curious of any recommendations for treatment, you might have.

For years, I had the urgent frequent bladder issue, and a home office with a bathroom 20 feet away. I thought for a long time, I somehow annihilated my own bladder.

I also had an 8.3 pound baby. Some prolapse, or loosened ligaments, is likely.