• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxytocin injections anyone?

Eucalypta

Hi All,

I did a search on the board but nothing came up so I'm asking it here. Does any of you have experience with Oxytocin injections?

My physician says he had wonderful results treating other patients who regained in short time a lot of energy and less pain.

I researched it online but can not find much info other than that it is used to induce labor in pregnant women.

I'm very sensitive to medication, if side effects are listed I'm normally the one to expereince them all. With this medication that scares me, a lot of cardiac issues are listed as side effect and I already have cardiomyopathy and NeuroCardiogenic Syncope, hypercoagulation and low blood volume.

Taking medication for low thyroid ends me up on ER with arrhythmia and trouble breathing.

Besides that the injections are really painful they tell me. I need to put hot packs on the area before the injection and ice packs after it.
Needless to say I'm a bit anxious and not looking forward to it.

Is there anyone who has experience with theses injections and what did they do for you? Was it worth the side effects and pain?

I already feel like a human pin cushion, there's little room left to inject. ;-)
I inject(or my husband does this, it's hard to reach your buttocks by yourself ;-)) B12/B6/glutathione/folinic acid and I inject daily Human Growth Hormone and Heparin 4 x daily for the hypercoagulation.
Adding another protocol to it will be challenging.

m1she11e

No, I havent, but...

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago. The people who responded to it responded right away and the results were very dramatic.
I thought I had found a transdermal version of it too back then. I will have to look it up again. I was very interested in trying it but couldnt find a doctor willing to prescribe it.

It supposed to give you energy and clarity and even make you more social and loving...???? That is what I remember reading:confused:

m1she11e

looked it up...

I found some very funny sites. It appears that Oxytocin is being billed as the "love" and "trust" hormone. Lots of junk out there I am sure. There is a RX nasal spray though. It is in this link with other good info...

http://www.raysahelian.com/oxytocin.html

Here is kind of a funny non RX homeopathic one...

http://oxytocinaccelerator.com/

It is Dr. Lapp that was using it years ago. He said that it didnt always work but when it did it was a miracle drug.

Good luck, may try some myself.

Michelle

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
coaxing our pituitaries

I found some very funny sites. It appears that Oxytocin is being billed as the "love" and "trust" hormone.
Hi Michelle,

I'm not sure how "funny" this is, but it does sound kind of fun . . . if we could find those willing others.
The best way to elevate oxytocin levels is to coax our pituitary to release it via modified behavior patterns; hugs, kisses, caresses, touching, eye contact while communicating, singing, laughing . . . and low-dose homeopathic accelerants.
For those of us who live alone, and are even doggie-less (I know it's pitiful), I wonder if we could coax our own pituitaries . . . Now THAT could be funny!

Nielk

a few years ago, I did try oxytocin shots for a few weeks but with no positive
results.

Eucalypta

a few years ago, I did try oxytocin shots for a few weeks but with no positive
results.

Thanks Nielk, no positive results.... Did you have any negative side effects or results?

Were they as painful as my nurse is telling me that they are?

Eucalypta

I found some very funny sites. It appears that Oxytocin is being billed as the "love" and "trust" hormone. Lots of junk out there I am sure. There is a RX nasal spray though. It is in this link with other good info...

http://www.raysahelian.com/oxytocin.html

Here is kind of a funny non RX homeopathic one...

http://oxytocinaccelerator.com/

It is Dr. Lapp that was using it years ago. He said that it didnt always work but when it did it was a miracle drug.

Good luck, may try some myself.

Michelle

Thanks M1chelle it looks promising, the results are what my dr, tells me he had with other patients who went from not being able to walk to bicycling in a few weeks. I wonder if it's just a one trick pony or that the changes are permanent.
He hasn't been treating the other patients for that long so I can get a statement from him if the oxytocin is something that you would need to take on a permanent bases in order to get the desired results.

This is a promising report from Ray, my dr, didn't mention the reduce fear option but that is very interesting to me as I have PTS due to rape with assault years ago and that prevents me from getting in a taxi with a male driver etc. and thus limits my mobility. I wonder if this will help on that level as well.

I think I'll be brave and go ahead and give it a try. Apparently side effects are most notable in higher doses and during labor.

Will email dr. Lapp and ask why he didn't pursue this any further.

Thanks a million for the links!

slayadragon

Oxytocin

I supplemented with oxytocin for many years.

I tried the shots, but the compounded oral form (obtained from Belmar Pharmacy in Colorado) seemed to work just as well for me.

It was about $1/day.

Oxytocin seems to be released primarily at orgasm and during childbirth.

It gave me a feeling of being "happy for no reason."

(I tend to think that oxytocin levels are supposed to be mild all the time, and that not having enough actually is creating "lack of happiness for no reason.")

I benefited from every single hormone I ever took though. People who don't benefit as much from hormones in general might be less likely to do well with this one.

All the supplements started feeling unnecessary after I started mold avoidance, so I gradually stopped all of them.

Lisa

Eucalypta

I had my first shot this evening. Normal dose is 10 cc I took half of it because I'm so side effect sensitive. Because my dr. was here he was allowed to use lidocaine with the injection and it was painless.

I didn't notice much till after about an hour, I started yawing and yawning and yawning and everything became fuzzy and I fell shaky like you do when you have hypoglycemia, my heart started beating irregular and did the vibration trick. I developed a strange slightly painful pressure between my eyes. I went to bed but could not sleep, just could not keep my eyes open. My mind was active and my heart was pulsating in my ears.

I was really annoyed, everyone I heard said who wonderful drug this was how happy it made them feel. Even my dr, raved about it that his other patients did so well with reduced pain, less fatigue and lots of mental clarity. And here I was, same pain, exhausted, yawning with heavy eyes and a fuzzy brain.

What's wrong with me, why can't I never react 'normal' to medication like everyone else? I almost feel sad for my dr. he was so upbeat and enthusiastic about it, he finally found something that could help me. I feel like I let him down. ;-)

But I'm not giving up right away, I will try again tomorrow and see if the same reaction appears.

Nielk

Eucalypta,

It was a while back, so my memory is a little fuzzy about it, but I don't remember any
side effects. I also had heard that it could have weird side effects like boost your desires
(didn't happen to me). The doctor that prescribed it at that time did have some positive results with other csf patients. So I hope that it works for you!!!

Nielk

L

Laney

Helped for a While

I supplemented with oxytocin for about two years, using the compounded oral form slayadragon mentioned. It seemed to reduce my fatigue somewhat and gave me a happiness boost. But like many things I have tried, after a period of time it did not make any difference. However, unlike a number of things I have tried, it did not cause me any problems.

GracieJ

I'm renewing this thread. I went to my doctor last week, first time in two years. We'd hit a dead end with treatment options, at least in his book. (He really is a great doctor. And yes, GracieJ broke down and went to ask for Lortab, Ativan, and muscle relaxants for emergencies. Can't believe the muscle spasms I've been having the past several weeks.)

So he says, "Why don't we try oxytocin shots?" I said, "Hunh?" the labor hormone? What?? The first shot hasn't done very much. He said it could help with the fibromyalgia end because research has shown low levels of what little is supposed to be in our bodies in fibro patients. It would help with muscle pain, cognition, and energy issues.

Not sure if I'm trying it again, maybe, maybe not. The hour drive down to his office without air conditioning in 103 degree weather pretty much took it out of me for a few days. I may not get back there for a while. Maybe after I've done my due diligence on the whole biotoxin illness picture and decide whether or not to go on CSM.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I'm renewing this thread. I went to my doctor last week, first time in two years. We'd hit a dead end with treatment options, at least in his book. (He really is a great doctor. And yes, GracieJ broke down and went to ask for Lortab, Ativan, and muscle relaxants for emergencies. Can't believe the muscle spasms I've been having the past several weeks.)

So he says, "Why don't we try oxytocin shots?" I said, "Hunh?" the labor hormone? What?? The first shot hasn't done very much. He said it could help with the fibromyalgia end because research has shown low levels of what little is supposed to be in our bodies in fibro patients. It would help with muscle pain, cognition, and energy issues.

Not sure if I'm trying it again, maybe, maybe not. The hour drive down to his office without air conditioning in 103 degree weather pretty much took it out of me for a few days. I may not get back there for a while. Maybe after I've done my due diligence on the whole biotoxin illness picture and decide whether or not to go on CSM.

interesting. were the shots expensive?

I seem to be getting muscle spasms or knots around my shoulder blades and today just below the shoulder blade like the muscles between my ribs are clamping up, take your breath away. I have done everything today tramadol, nsaids lyrica, linament, tens machine, heat pack aarrgghh. I think its not going anywhere until i take some benzo's etc for sleep, i hope.

Anyway there is a place that sells oxytocin in a nasal spray or a troche. Maybe it requires daily use to get a good effect?? Be nice to get a few shots of lignocaine into the muscles to numb them when these things happen.

Oxytocin is something I asked to get tested recently (don't have the results in yet). It moderates inflammation and might be involved in heart function. It can affect fluid and electrolyte balances, and modulates HPA access by having an impact on cortisol and ACTH release, so could cause a lot of problems that way.

Though it sounds like both low and high levels would have the potential for causing different problems.

heapsreal

there seems to alot of things coming out on peptides for different uses. Mostly its to stimulate growth hormone. Maybe there is a supplemental peptide that stimulates oxytocin?? time to google??

peggy-sue

I hope it does give you some relief - soon.
It's not nonsense about oxytocin being the "love and trust" hormone. Hormones are what give us feelings.
Think PMT, steroid rage etc.

(Serotonin is not the "happy chemical". It reorganises all the hormone systems, and that is why SSRIs are antidepressants. If it was serotonin, SSRIs would kick in as soon as you start taking them, not a month and a half later after a million and one hormonal side-effects!)

heapsreal

I have found ssri's work straight away for me, usually overstimulates me, but its all about balance when it comes to neurotransmitters and hormones??
using tryptophan increases serotonin but its a different effect from ssri's so maybe something else is going on or the body can adjust itself with trypto but drugs it cant???

peggy-sue

May I ask, are you male or female?
They are biologically, completely different animals when it comes to hormones!
When I started taking citalopram (10mg, half-normal dose) it had me bouncing off the walls for 6 weeks before it kicked in - starting with no sleep whatsoever for 55 hours, (I couldn't even cope with lying down) going through PMT, (I'm post-menopausal) agonising boob pain, constipation, rages, cystitis, altered waterworks, acne, weight gain, headaches... everything listed as a side-effect then a good few more of my own, just for good measure!

Years ago, Prozac immediately cured PMT, but didn't touch the depression for 5 weeks.

perchance dreamer

I take a compounded Oxytocin sublingual a couple of times a week right before bed. For me, it acts as a really nice sleep booster. In the U.S., I believe you have to have a prescription and must fill it at a compounding pharmacy.

GracieJ

heapsreal The shots will be about $20 each, if I decide to do them. My doctor suggested once or twice a week.

Valentijn That is interesting that you have been tested for your oxytocin levels. Staying tuned to hear more.

I'm thinking that like just about everything else in our world, hormones get dumbed down to what they are "good" for or "do" in the body when the reality is, we all have and need some of each one, with "balance" being a relative term.

Next visit, I will be asking my doctor if there is any way I can take a supply of filled syringes home and administer these shots myself, same as B12 shots. I'm interested in trying this more, just can't afford the energy drain getting to his office.