• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overheated Liver?

hunter1899

Does anyone here feel it’s possible that their symptoms are due in part to an overheating liver? It isn’t ridding the body of toxins properly and can cause bad fatigue. I know mine gets swollen when I overdo it outside.

Davsey27

Yes I think taking too many supplements at once can do this.

I find it challenging knowing that taking 1 at a time
you can better gauge how its working but still this can be challenging as perhaps introducing a bunch of supplements at once gives me false sense of security

Seems there is no shortcut for this conditon(speaking for myself).at least for now

Tammy

Yes...........I believe that's possible. Our poor livers are working overtime..........dealing with environmental toxins, heavy metals, viral toxins (yes viruses can hang out in the liver).....junk diet, etc. etc.

ljimbo423

Does anyone here feel it’s possible that their symptoms are due in part to an overheating liver? It isn’t ridding the body of toxins properly and can cause bad fatigue. I know mine gets swollen when I overdo it outside.

ME/CFS is strongly associated with gut dysbiosis and increased intestinal permeability (aka- leaky gut). A leaky gut allows an increase of toxins from the gut into the bloodstream. The main toxin is lipopolysaccharides (LPS) from the cell membrane of gram negative bacteria in the gut.

While some LPS getting into the bloodstream is normal and happens to everyone, especially after intense exercise. Dysbiosis and leaky gut can increase levels of LPS in the blood significantly. These toxins (LPS) need to be detoxified from the body and the main organ that does that is the liver.

So taking herbs like milk thistle, artichoke extract, burdock root and dandelion root can help support the liver in detoxifying these. Alpha lipoic acid and N-acetyl-l-cysteine are also good for liver detoxification because they increase levels of Glutathione. Which is the bodies "master" antioxidant and plays a huge role in liver detoxification.

hunter1899

ME/CFS is strongly associated with gut dysbiosis and increased intestinal permeability (aka- leaky gut). A leaky gut allows an increase of toxins from the gut into the bloodstream. The main toxin is lipopolysaccharides (LPS) from the cell membrane of gram negative bacteria in the gut.

While some LPS getting into the bloodstream is normal and happens to everyone, especially after intense exercise. Dysbiosis and leaky gut can increase levels of LPS in the blood significantly. These toxins (LPS) need to be detoxified from the body and the main organ that does that is the liver.

So taking herbs like milk thistle, artichoke extract, burdock root and dandelion root can help support the liver in detoxifying these. Alpha lipoic acid and N-acetyl-l-cysteine are also good for liver detoxification because they increase levels of Glutathione. Which is the bodies "master" antioxidant and plays a huge role in liver detoxification.

is there one good super supplement for the liver that combines what you listed? How long does it take to see results? also if glutathione helps detox can it cause herx?

hunter1899

Yes...........I believe that's possible. Our poor livers are working overtime..........dealing with environmental toxins, heavy metals, viral toxins (yes viruses can hang out in the liver).....junk diet, etc. etc.

and this can make your liver swell? Spleen too?

Last edited:

ljimbo423

is there one good super supplement for the liver that combines what you listed?

Sorry, I don't know of any single supplements that combine the ones I mentioned but I'm sure there are some. I take some of them but I buy them individually because I'm so sensitive to most supplements.

How long does it take to see results?

Results should be pretty quick, I'd say within a week. But many of us are sensitive to supplements and get adverse reactions. So we have to start with very low doses and slowly work our way up, to avoid this.

also if glutathione helps detox can it cause herx?

Yes, as I mentioned above. Glutathione is a very powerful supplement and can be very helpful for liver detoxing and general inflammation. But, because it's so powerful it can cause detox symptoms.

hunter1899

Sorry, I don't know of any single supplements that combine the ones I mentioned but I'm sure there are some. I take some of them but I buy them individually because I'm so sensitive to most supplements.

Results should be pretty quick, I'd say within a week. But many of us are sensitive to supplements and get adverse reactions. So we have to start with very low doses and slowly work our way up, to avoid this.

Yes, as I mentioned above. Glutathione is a very powerful supplement and can be very helpful for liver detoxing and general inflammation. But, because it's so powerful it can cause detox symptoms.

so liver not detoxing is just one cause of CFS and can be brought on by EBV right? I’m assuming others with CFS must not have causes related to the liver if it’s just a matter of a week of detox to feel better? Also can you explain why sweating a lot makes me feel worse?

ljimbo423

so liver not detoxing is just one cause of CFS and can be brought on by EBV right?

I don't know if EBV can cause the liver to not detoxify well. But the liver being overwhelmed with toxins from ME/CFS seems to be a very common problem.

I’m assuming others with CFS must not have causes related to the liver if it’s just a matter of a week of detox to feel better?

It would take longer than a week to really turn around a poorly detoxing liver but I have noticed feeling improvements in about a week.

I don't know of any research that shows poor liver detoxing as a cause of ME/CFS. It could cause fatigue. Do you get PEM ( post exertional malaise)? That is, do you feel more tired 1 to 3 days after you do a lot of physical activity?

Also can you explain why sweating a lot makes me feel worse?

The only thing I can think of is if the sweating is from physical activity, that could be PEM you are experiencing that makes you feel worse.

hunter1899

I don't know if EBV can cause the liver to not detoxify well. But the liver being overwhelmed with toxins from ME/CFS seems to be a very common problem.

It would take longer than a week to really turn around a poorly detoxing liver but I have noticed feeling improvements in about a week.

I don't know of any research that shows poor liver detoxing as a cause of ME/CFS. It could cause fatigue. Do you get PEM ( post exertional malaise)? That is, do you feel more tired 1 to 3 days after you do a lot of physical activity?

The only thing I can think of is if the sweating is from physical activity, that could be PEM you are experiencing that makes you feel worse.

it seemed like it was linked to physical activity but then I went into a sauna for a sweaty 30 minutes and still felt like crap for two days after. No real physical activity.

Valtrex is supposed to help with PEM in folks that have CFS from Mono correct? I may try getting on that.

ljimbo423

it seemed like it was linked to physical activity but then I went into a sauna for a sweaty 30 minutes and still felt like crap for two days after. No real physical activity.

I have read that the sauna can really wipe out some of us with ME/CFS. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's just the stress that over-heating puts on the body and that can cause PEM or some of us to feel like crap.

Valtrex is supposed to help with PEM in folks that have CFS from Mono correct?

Antivirals do help some people with ME/CFS, although it rarely gets them healthy again. I've heard of a few people getting big improvements with antivirals but most of the people that do improve, get only minor to somewhat moderate improvements.

hunter1899

I have read that the sauna can really wipe out some of us with ME/CFS. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's just the stress that over-heating puts on the body and that can cause PEM or some of us to feel like crap.

Antivirals do help some people with ME/CFS, although it rarely gets them healthy again. I've heard of a few people getting big improvements with antivirals but most of the people that do improve, get only minor to somewhat moderate improvements.

well that’s extremely depressing to hear. I thought Dr Lerners study showed clear improvements in most people in the trial? Especially if you take the right antiviral for your root cause.

ljimbo423

well that’s extremely depressing to hear. I thought Dr Lerners study showed clear improvements in most people in the trial? Especially if you take the right antiviral for your root cause.

I think your right about Dr learners study. I've not seen those kind of results here at Phoenix Rising.

It might be worth a try for you. Maybe you will be one of the people that have a very positive response to antivirals.

There are other things that have helped some of us too. If you decide not to go the antiviral route they might be worth looking into and trying.