• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Our Roll of Honour for 2009

K

Katie

This is a thread inspired by Wildaisy and all those who've made 2009 one of the most exciting in quite a while. Also to Fresh_eyes for his unbridaled enthusiasm and thinking big ;)

There are a lot of people in the ME/CFS world that deserve special recognition for all their work, be it in the laboratory, in front of the camera, blogging or by doing whatever they can to better all our lives. This is your opportunity to name who you feel deserves a mention and to write how they've effected you. It doesn't matter if the person has been mentioned before, what we'll do at the end is compile what everyone has said into paragraphs below each name and post it up as our person Roll of Honour for 2009 courtesy of the people of Pheonix Rising Forum. Hopefully this will be done just before the new year or in the first week of January.

So here is my contribution copied from the thread where this began...

Dr Judy Mikovits for being the most fabulous bartender/virologist we could ever have known

Dr Dan Peterson for being tenacious and following the viral tail of this disease

Dr Nancy Klimas for her performance at the CFSAC, gosh she was impressive, a scientific tiger

Dr Donnica Moore for being our voice and combining it with her knowledge and kindness. She's done a valiant job

Annette Whittemore for being a mother to us all, what she's doing for her daughter she is doing for us all

Dr Lombardi for trying to do things right

The New York Times for following this up and giving it the attention is deserves

Wanda Jones for her email ettiquette! And most importantly her openness and transparency

Dr Kerr for his gene expression research which is a very important facet and could yield a diagnostic test in the near future. I really appreciate the work he's put in and the results he's getting fills me with hope

Everyone at the CFSAC who have seize this XMRV and are trying to do their best to give it a fair hearing.

Everyone who wrote to Dr Oz and made things happen, it was amazing to see sofa activism in action

This one is from Teejkay...

Dr. David Bell for putting off retirement in light of this discovery and seeking to find his original 61 patients from the Lyndonville Outbreak in order to test them for XMRV.

So add your influential names or who you would like to thank in the year 2009 and we'll see what we can do.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Dreambirdie is my nominee for the Special Sofa Activist award, for her work on the Dr Oz show.

Hey, I saw this! Very Sweet.

I have been paying the price lately, for too much energy expended on my activism. So I really appreciated the thought. Very nice of you. THANKS. ;):):)

leelaplay

My first-choice nominees are

Cort and Aftermath for starting this forum.

Jodi and Chronically Fatigued for moderating

All members

This forum is the treasure of my life right now. After 8 years of isolation, the sense of community, the intelligence, the ideas, the respect, the humour......... are priceless, are beyond words to me.

islandfinn:)

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I nominate Koan

I nominate Koan for bringing PEACE to this forum and reminding us all with every post to "Smile, breathe and go slowly."

Notice to all: Koan's next post will be number 1,000. Surely her presence here has impacted us all.

(I'm still not a stalker! :))

Gracenote

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
I nominate Koan for bringing PEACE to this forum and reminding us all with every post to "Smile, breathe and go slowly."

Yes! The Peacemaker Award!

After my nap I'm going to check out all the links that have been posted. It occurs to me that this list, in addition to honoring those listed, could function as a very informative resource too, if we included links to everyone's contributions.

K

Khalyal

Great thread!

I love this idea, and ohmygosh thanks for the nomination! Shucks!

Well, Hillary Johnson got borrowed by the UK, so I want to borrow the UK's Luminescentfeeling, for keeping us all posted and informed via beautifully-done videos on Youtube, particularly Phone Call For Mengele's Twin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHt4YR8mbpg

flybro

Re-branding CFS oops wrong thread NOT

I agree
This forum is the treasure of my life right now. After 8 years of isolation, the sense of community, the intelligence, the ideas, the respect, the humour......... are priceless, are beyond words to me.

There for I nominate all CFS/ME carers & peeps a 'totally hardcore, bad ass', AngelWarrior Medal of honour.

And yes extras for Koan for keeping the peace, and those fighting the fight.

New Criterior for ME/CFS

Symptoms are

Courage
Inteligence,
Endurance
Compassion
Empathy
Humour
Laughter
Strength
Pateince
Resiliance

You watch we'll have people linning up the street to catch it.

MEKoan

gosh thanks happy tears! :eek:

You - You know who you are, you who needed to be heroic just to post, yeah you!

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
people lining up to catch CFS

New Criterior for ME/CFS

Symptoms are

Courage
Inteligence,
Endurance
Compassion
Empathy
Humour
Laughter
Strength
Pateince
Resiliance

You watch we'll have people linning up the street to catch it.

This is fabulous, flybro! I love it.

MEKoan

Flybro, you and Gracenote and Khalyal are spreading some pretty contagious L.O.V.E. there!

careful, there could be an outbreak!

:p

Marylib

Ooh, this is great

Love all these so far.

Also what about Andrea Whittemore, for sacrificing her privacy via the New York Times, managing a FB site for WPI, fundraising -- while struggling always with her health.

Also ME Research UK for being always staunchly there, accessible, in the background working and working away.

Also, the staunch physicians and researchers of the IACFS/ME who keep that association together on a volunteer basis while also keeping up their medical practices and research!

PS. Rest up Dreambirdie

K

Khalyal

Koan, lol!

Kumbaya, my lord, Kumbaya...

(doin the wave over here...:) )
Feel the love!

Marylib

Khalyal! Stop with that song! I was incarcerated in several Methodist summer youth camps and tortured with that song 50 times a day!