• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Other illnesses

usedtobeperkytina

We know that CFS is neurological. We also know that neurological is in the brain and psychological problems are in the brain as well.

We also know that CFS is an immune system disorder that has a portion of the immune system depressed and some overactive.

We also know that many CFSers develop chemical sensitivities, allergies and autoimmune diseases, one being Hashimoto's.

And we also know that XMRV is linked to CFS, and possibly is the cause.

Now follow my logic here.

Wouldn't it be neat (using a childlike term) if XMRV ends up being the cause of M.S., Lupus, Autism, Fibromyalgia and other illnesses of the brain and immune system. Maybe bi-polar disorder.

I am not saying there is any evidence of this at all. Just kind of speculating in a "what if" kind of way.

Ok, maybe it is a leap. But maybe it is possible? No?

Tina

starryeyes

I think there is a possibility this is true at least it seems to be in some of the patients with these other illnesses. I hope they can test more diseases for XMRV soon.

Victoria

Anything's possible, Tina,

I keep an open mind to anything & everything.

I DO face the reality though.

A cure won't happen overnight.

So while we're keeping up with the latest news & research, it helps to face the reality of all of this.

We have to get up tomorrow & face another day of symptoms, so it's best to keep up with your current protocol of treatment, wait, & see what happens in the near future.

Look how medicine & research has progressed in the last 20 years alone.

I believe in dreams. I believe in Miracles. There is so much evidence of the seemingly impossible happening on our own doorstep.

Victoria

streptococcus causes ocd or ocd like disease , borna virus depression , syphilis and Lyme all psychiatric problems .. already .. so it s not imagining wildly .. there s proof that microbes viruses makes people mentally sick .. already ..

ramakentesh

Since most of my problems seem to centre around postural tachycardia Im hoping that XMRV is implicated in this as well.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
While I'd be surprised if XMRV proves to be THE cause of all those illnesses, I do think it's opening the door to a new understanding of many poorly-understood diseases. Once they figure out HOW XMRV causes illness (perhaps by combining with other viruses, or even endogenous retroviruses in the genome) I bet they're a lot closer to treatments for all of the above. Which makes me really happy.

Daisymay

Yes thiswould be so great

While I'd be surprised if XMRV proves to be THE cause of all those illnesses, I do think it's opening the door to a new understanding of many poorly-understood diseases. Once they figure out HOW XMRV causes illness (perhaps by combining with other viruses, or even endogenous retroviruses in the genome) I bet they're a lot closer to treatments for all of the above. Which makes me really happy.

Yes this would be so good if this research can help PWME and FMS, IBS, GWS autism, MCS? and more either directly or as you say by opening up people's minds to the possibillity of infections in a whole range of other disease where they've not bothered to look.

That would be so cool.

And also so good if it totally scuppered the psychiatrists across over a whole range of illnesses and demolished the idea that we are all causing our illness.

G

greybeh

I have not heard of new research being done to see what XMRV's role is in these other illnesses.

I can't help but be curious if more research is being done about fibromyalgia and XMRV. It's hard to wait patiently.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
In the "new task force" thread, Wanda Jones says they're looking at cohorts with other diagnoses already - I'd be really surprised if Fibro wasn't one of them.

Also if you guys are interested, in the "great blog post: antiretroviral..." thread, there's an explanation about how XMRV might trigger endogenous retroviruses in the genome to cause "autoimmune" conditions.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Yeah, I thought that was really interesting too - if XMRV could create an autoimmune response, that could be REALLY important for so many conditions. Maybe I'll start a new thread, seems like people missed that one. (Bad title?) :)

starryeyes

I liked the title. There's just so much news and ideas about CFS to keep up with right now, it's hard to read and understand everything but that's grrrrreat! I honestly had trouble comprehending that thread but my brainfog comes and goes... perhaps later it will make more sense to me.