• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One study shows reinfected covid patients not contagious

Andrew

Last edited:

Wolfcub

This is very interesting @Andrew Thank you for posting that. It's something I was wondering about myself.

I still have lingering symptoms. Not sore throat or cough but lower gut distension and some digestive issues like trapped wind pains. My "gut feelings" (pun intended) are that these are a result of inflammation and some damage rather than a still -active infection.
When they arrive in the next few days, I will be taking some gut-specific anti-inflammatory herbs.
However in the jolly old UK I am neither eligible for testing now, and bizarrely, apparently not eligible for the antibody test either!

Rufous McKinney

But the picture is confounded by these people having sore throat.

is that the sore throat that becomes our Chronic sore throat?

My throat and voice are shot. Its a constant symptom that for me worsens around 2 pm daily and if I were to converse with a friend, say on the phone, or maybe to have lunch (months ago, that happened) I'll have like a near-Strep Throat level pain and laryngitis.

ebethc

I still have lingering symptoms. Not sore throat or cough but lower gut distension and some digestive issues like trapped wind pains. My "gut feelings" (pun intended) are that these are a result of inflammation and some damage rather than a still -active infection.
When they arrive in the next few days, I will be taking some gut-specific anti-inflammatory herbs.
However in the jolly old UK I am neither eligible for testing now, and bizarrely, apparently not eligible for the antibody test either!

I had covid in march & april, and since may I've had some bad gut issues... (during covid, my gut issues worsened, but I wasn't eating that great, either..) I have some bug and I'm not sure it's directly related to covid... I think that covid lowered my immunity, screwed up my gut (more) and I couldn't resist whatever gut bug I have now...So, indirectly related to covid...

I dug out a bottle of Biotics Dysbiocide and that seems to be helping... Which herbs are you taking?

Wishful

after I recovered, and before I got this stomach bug, I felt better than I have in ages... so, there's a glimmer of hope...??

I wonder if anyone here has found reliable improvements from viral infections (or any other types). Any reliable treatment for ME (for a given individual) has the potential to help figure out what is going on with ME, or at least lead to potential treatments. Maybe it wouldn't need an actual viral infection, but rather some chemical stimulation of a certain aspect of the immune system.

ebethc

I wonder if anyone here has found reliable improvements from viral infections (or any other types). Any reliable treatment for ME (for a given individual) has the potential to help figure out what is going on with ME, or at least lead to potential treatments. Maybe it wouldn't need an actual viral infection, but rather some chemical stimulation of a certain aspect of the immune system.
btw, a lot of cfs'ers never get sick... they have autoantibodies and immune systems that are in high gear... mine is pathetically in low gear.. I get every bug that goes around and have a hard time getting well.

Wolfcub

I dug out a bottle of Biotics Dysbiocide and that seems to be helping... Which herbs are you taking?
Marshmallow Root, Wild Yam, Meadowsweet, Fennel, Chamomile, Echinacea angustifolia, and peppermint.

I definitely feel some improvement. But we will see......
Things are not "fixed" completely yet.

Wolfcub

That is what I am always on the lookout for @Wishful
I have found things that looked promising (an experiment with Astragalus which was wonderful....until it suddenly wasn't any more)
But that's the old story I know. Things help. Then suddenly they stop helping. So sad and bloody weird.

Wishful

btw, a lot of cfs'ers never get sick...

Yes, I've probably only had two viral infections since developing ME in 2001, and both only lasted a day or two. I don't recall either of them making me feel better afterwards. This is one area of experimentation that I can't participate in.

Wishful

I have found things that looked promising (an experiment with Astragalus which was wonderful....until it suddenly wasn't any more)

That sort of response to treatments makes me think that it involves the immune system. The immune system is complex and evolved to be adaptable, to keep our bodies from overreactions and underreactions. It seems reasonable for the immune system to say "Hey, something is blocking (or boosting) interleukin-28e/delta levels from what we've set it for. Let's adjust that..." That's a problem when a disease changes the settings to something that puts us in an unhealthy state.

Imagine that your house temperature kept fluctuating seemingly at random. The expert can't find any problem, because the system is working correctly. However, when you moved that piece of furniture under the thermostat, kitty decided to nap there sometimes, resting against the sensor...

Oh great. Now I have a mental image of a kitty-shaped cell napping in the wrong spot in my brain. :cat:

Wolfcub

Imagine that your house temperature kept fluctuating seemingly at random. The expert can't find any problem, because the system is working correctly. However, when you moved that piece of furniture under the thermostat, kitty decided to nap there sometimes, resting against the sensor...

Oh great. Now I have a mental image of a kitty-shaped cell napping in the wrong spot in my brain. :cat:
:lol::rofl::_