• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

O2 Levels Experiment

LINE

O2 Level Experiment:

Synopsis: O2 levels can be checked quickly at home using an inexpensive device. Low O2 could or should indicate inflammation. Antioxidants should reduce inflammation thus raising the O2 levels.

O2 levels can be measured with some inexpensive Oximeters that sell for about $20. These units are non-invasive and give quick readings. These measure the levels of oxygen; with a healthy person the readings will be greater than 95%.

The idea is with increased inflammation, readings will begin to dip. Obvious sources of inflammation originate with immunity which could either be a pathogenic event (viral etc.) or toxins. (Toxins evoke immune response).

Oxygen levels affect effectiveness of anti-inflammatory therapies -- ScienceDaily

My 91-year-old mother has been dealing with what appears to be a viral issue (non-Covid). Very sleepy, very fatigued. Her O2 levels measured 92%. I dosed her under the tongue (very efficient way of administering) with selenium, CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid and a good Vitamin C (2,000mg). Within a few hours, her O2 raised up to 96%.

linusbert

my o2 is between 94 - 96% most of the time, sometimes 97%.
when i situp or walk the % is rather 97%.

V.C. does nothing for my o2.
what i noticed is with after vitamin D and b complex i get higher levels like 99% which is very rare for me.

i didnt try CoQ.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Interesting article. I agree in that inflammation could affect O2 levels depending upon what levels the inflammation is targeting.
I've been working with O2 therapy and observations since August and detail some of them in this other thread:
Oxygen Therapy
As the autumn has progressed my O2 levels have fluctuated greatly. My whole life they registered 99-100%. In the last year the average has dropped to 96%. However, since August the average has been 94% and when I wake in the morning most of the time it registers 84%.
While using O2 at 60% at 3L per minute for 30 minutes I can get the SpO2 up around 98% on "good days".
I've been working with pulmonology since August on this issue. I have ME as well as CFS. My healthcare team is looking at POTS right now also as of the 11 trade markers I solidly fit 10. While prone for at least an hour my resting heart rate levels at 62 to 68 bpm, but instantly when standing up it shoots up anywhere from 120 to 130 bpm. My healthcare team is heavily suspecting a severe case of eosinophilic asthma, but more testing needs to be done.
I've not yet noticed any change in my O2 levels with inflammatory spikes. That doesn't mean anything of course, just that I haven't noticed any marked shifts in readings. Lung issues - yes they change dramatically with inflammation spikes, but the O2 doesn't. That, keeping in mind even the expensive finger monitors only register surface O2 and nothing deeper, nor do they register O2 exchange in the lungs.
I also have noticed no O2 changes with Vit C, nor with my B-complexes, or the 10,000 ius of Vit D3 I take daily, or CoQ10 and selenium. It sure would be nice if I did like your mother LINE!