• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NYTimes Essentials Expert Q&A: Leonard Jason

MEKoan

http://health.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-chronicfatigue-expert.html

Prof. Leonard Jason (Psychology, DePaul) talks about the experience of CFS, the perceptions of CFS and the reality of CFS.

The Times is all over this which is fantastic. I can scarcely believe it, really. :p

Just one of these pieces would have had us jumping up and down screaming with delight a couple of months ago. I'm so surprised at how well they are covering this, how much energy the various parties involved are putting into this and how much ink we are getting.

How do we encourage this?! It seems it's easier to complain than to congratulate.

This is amazing stuff!!!

koan

Jerry S

The Consults blog today features Nancy Klimas

As posted by George in his thread "Expert Answers from the Times," today's Consults blog has Nancy Klimas answering readers' questions.

The Times is coming through with great coverage! :)

Comments can be left there congratulating the Times on its coverage -- which I did.

Frickly

Thanks Koan,

It always makes me smile when I read these articles. I keep sending these links to my dad. Hopefully, one day, he will respond.

Prof. Leonard Jason (Psychology, DePaul) talks about the experience of CFS, the perceptions of CFS and the reality of CFS.

The Times is all over this which is fantastic. I can scarcely believe it, really. :p

Just one of these pieces would have had us jumping up and down screaming with delight a couple of months ago. I'm so surprised at how well they are covering this, how much energy the various parties involved are putting into this and how much ink we are getting.

How do we encourage this?! It seems it's easier to complain than to congratulate.

This is amazing stuff!!!

koan

MEKoan

I know. It's like suddenly nobody I know seems to read the NYT! :confused:

I don't know about you but this is not the way my vindication fantasy went :p

Oh dear, I crack me up :rolleyes:

:D

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Frickly

Hi Frickly - I hope your Dad does respond someday. You're not giving up on him, so it must be important to you, so I really hope he does! You deserve it.

Thank you again, Koan. This is so exciting to see. If the NYTimes keeps talking about us, other people are going to have to start noticing! It really does make me wonder what is making them do it. There has to be someone pushing this after all these years.

K

_Kim_

Dr. Jason did a beautiful job of conveying some of the most important issues - case definition, stigma, lousy name, and the realities that most people don't have the support nor the resources to recover. I didn't know he had CFS. I may re-watch some of the CFSAC proceedings with that in mind.

The Times is really catching all the angles and finding some of the most credible (and likeable) CFS advocates to speak for us. I wonder who the angel is at the Times that is keeping this story going. It has to be someone at the top - these stories are showing up in a variety of sections and have been paced just right - steady coverage from October 8th onward. [Can you believe it's only been 6+ weeks since XMRV hit the news?]

Kati

Patient in training
Thanks for sharing Koan, I saw the Dr Klimas Q and A but not this one and I almost cried. I will print the article for my dr, and tell her this is just about how I feel- I hope one day she gets it.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
great but not new

Prof. Leonard Jason (Psychology, DePaul) talks about the experience of CFS, the perceptions of CFS and the reality of CFS. . . The Times is all over this which is fantastic. I can scarcely believe it, really. :p . . . This is amazing stuff!!! koan

This article sounded very familiar to me. I think it is absolutely great, but it was published on May 30, 2008. Leonard Jason has other articles on CFS that I've come across in a database through my college library. I think I will follow up on them. It would be interesting if he has anything published that is post Science.
----------
Looks like Sarah's post beat me to it.

Marylib

NY Times

Yes-- the Times are all over it, reprints or not.

Does anyone know whom we could contact to thank/praise/contact/kiss up to/ on this one. :p
Certainly knowing we are all reading their online edition can only encourage them?

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
Ah, okay. Was thinking I'd read that before. ;-)

Koan, know what you mean about NYTimes. I and most of my friends used to read it every morning but now it's maybe a couple of times a year. Judy Miller & pals ruined it.

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
Marylib -- My understanding is that it's best to contact the writer personally -- either by phone or email. Letters to the editor are usually only read by the editor of the letters page.

starryeyes

Frickly, I hope your father comes around too. It's very sad when family doesn't support us. At least you have us as a family right here. :)

Thank you Koan for posting the article with Leonard Jason, he's one of my faves. And the Q & A with Nancy Klimas was excellent too.

tee