• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

nystatin has antiretroviral effects

Rrrr

someone else found this, i am just posting it on this forum...

this paper seems to be sayying that nystatin may have antiretroviral effects

http://www.clinicaltrialssearch.org/a-study-of-nystatin-in-hiv-infected-patients-nct00002313.html

AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1993 May;9(5):475-81.
Inhibition of HIV-1 replication in H9 cells by nystatin-A compared with other antiviral agents.

Selvam MP, Blay RA, Geyer S, Buck SM, Pollock L, Mayner RE, Epstein JS.Laboratory of Immunochemistry, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20852.

Nystatin A was compared in vitro with amphotericin B, AZT, or foscarnet for their respective abilities to inhibit the replication of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) in H9 cells. HIV-1-infected H9 cells were cultured for 7 days in the presence of each of these drugs, at various concentrations. Reverse transcriptase activity and p24 antigen production were quantitated. Untreated, HIV-1-infected H9 cells served as the control. Nystatin A inhibited viral replication most effectively at 10 micrograms/ml, a concentration that did not affect cell viability. Nystatin-A treatment inhibited RT activity by 85% and p24 production by 90%. These levels of inhibition were comparable to that mediated by amphotericin B, AZT, or foscarnet at 10, 25, and 50 micrograms/ml, respectively. Western blot analysis of the HIV-1-infected H9 cells treated with these drugs did not detect any expression of viral proteins. These findings were further corroborated by indirect immunofluorescence studies using monoclonal anti-gp120 FITC-conjugated antibodies and by polymerase chain reaction for proviral DNA analysis, using a 32P-labeled probe. These results suggest that Nystatin A merits attention as an antiviral drug for the treatment of HIV-1 infection. In vivo drug delivery by liposome encapsulation to overcome problems of bioavailability is currently under study. PMID: 7686387

Tembo

Australia
That sounds very interesting - has anyone on the board here else had any success with it?

anne_likes_red

Two years (1995/96) here. No improvement or progress noted.
I also used Amphotericin B for a couple of months towards the end of 1996 - no improvement with that either.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Nystatin is hardly absorbed from the gut at all so, if it could work against XMRV or other retroviruses as described in the abstract, it would be necessary to find another delivery method.