• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Numbness in left hand?

sb4

Recently been getting a lot of numbness in my little and ring finger as well as the base of my palm. More or less like in this picture
ulnar-nerve-hand-jpg.879457

It started soon after starting LDN about a month ago. I have also been messing around some more with my posture in that time.

My initial thought was that LDN is lowering the force blood is pumping around my body as it made me feel calmer in the beginning. I have issues with limbs going numb / pins and needles due to POTS but this is different.

Any ideas? Anyone else have something similar?

Rufous McKinney

Any ideas? Anyone else have something similar?

ditto: right hand, right foot, same exact sectors. Numb, tingly numb. Odd congestion between the toes there.

the right side of my body is more ill, including my lymph system: so these syptoms favor my right side.

I do take LDN, I...cannot really recall how long this has been going on: quite a while.

I think this is a neuropathy.

Rufous McKinney

that it could be Ulnar nerve getting pinched

Its been in my foot for a long time, so when it started to match up with my hand- neurological was suspected.

In the dept of elbows- I developed elbow bursitis...and while it got much better- its still weird.

Doctors claim this is an injury. I had no injury. So liquid filled up the bursa on my right elbow (had to get it drained, not a big deal) but it did not hurt (being swollen). The left elbow- got no liquid but hurts.

It still hurts, it gets red and it HATES the Emf from the lap top- its like RADAR for EMF:a similar feeling to this bursitis is in my heels.

Sorry but EMF is real- and I can feel it also in this hand numbness issue- it exacerbates it: typing here.

I noticed that my elbows improved by the following: I literally just stretched the heck out of my arms, elbows and shoulders- reaching up above my head: more or less encouraging the one with liquid to drain: and it went away 3 days later and didn ='t really come back.

this pain the left- sticks around.

(I wondered why bursistis was listed as a co- morbidity choice, in the recent ME survey I took.)

My chinese herbalist: he did not hear me when I kept telling him about this pain. He thinks I have arthritis in my elbows. NO THATS NOT IT- I try to interject.

People sure don't listen well.

sb4

Interesting about the stretching. I notice the numbness comes on when I've been typing at the keyboard for a while, could be emf and or posture. But it also happens in the middle of the night. Checked for any lumps around the elbow but didn't see anything.

Rufous McKinney

Interesting about the stretching. I notice the numbness comes on when I've been typing at the keyboard for a while, could be emf and or posture. But it also happens in the middle of the night. Checked for any lumps around the elbow but didn't see anything.

Now I recall how I did 8-10 hours days of endless writing and editting and I would stare at the mouse and pretty much decided it had Killed off the nerve on my right hand.

But my foot isn't directly involved in laptops. And corresponds.

Bursitis was quite strange- your going to know it if you develop it. I had about 1/2 a cup of fluid needed draining. After that- it hung around longer and the big stretches- I think encouraged it to drain out. (including lift behind the shoulder blades).

But what CAUSES this? Not the reasons doctors say- just more proof how our bodies do strange things they don't understand.

WantedAlive

I have also been messing around some more with my posture in that time.

@sb4 Did messing with your posture involve your neck? I experienced a similar episode a while back and it occurred with emerging neck discomfort. I could barely work with keyboard or mouse. All that autonomic control branches out from C5C6 area I recall. This was a pivotal moment for me as I sought chiropractic treatment. An adjustment at C5-C7 did correct the problem, and unexpectedly my grip strength improved and over the next 3 days progressively even my leg function improved, it was all quite remarkable.

My second appointment was 4 days later. I had mixed feelings, encouraged by the first adjustment but also reluctant to risk losing what I gained. And to this day I regret that second adjustment, this time at C2 which was like a punch to the head and my grip strength immediately weakened. I got a lot worse shortly after that. I suspect the cervical instability as a result of ME/CFS makes one vulnerable around this highly sensitive area.

sb4

@WantedAlive Yeah, the whole point of me messing with my posture is to achieve what I believe to be a primal posture with extended cervical spine. There are many difficulties to achieving this however. A recent advancement I made has allowed me to sit with my neck extended more consistently.

The ulnar nerve seems to connect at C8 T1 and I sometimes have pain roughly at this region. Something to think about.

sb4

@sb4 Sounds like some form of Ulnar nerve entrapment. It could be Ulnar tunnel syndrome, which is very similar to Carpal tunnel syndrome, which can be exacerbated when using keyboard or mouse due to bending of the wrist. It might be worth trying a splint to see if the symptoms improve?
It could well be. For the moment I am just going to monitor it to see how it goes. It's only been a couple of weeks so I will see how it progresses in the next couple of weeks. Splint could be a shout so thanks.