• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nucleotides in bakers/brewers yeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumman123

So I have just discovered bakers/brewers yeast is at least 3% nucleic acids by weight, and brewers yeast can get up to 8% even. That is 10g of yeast contains at least 300mg of DNA/RNA. I just had 45g of brewers yeast all at once to see if it will cause diarrhea, so that 45g dose provided at least 1350mg of DNA/RNA. We turn over around 800mg of RNA/DNA a day so even 30g of yeast provides more than the amount we recycle each day. Of course we make it in the body but it is good to get extra. If 45g causes diarrhea then splitting a dose into twice a day eg 20g morning, 20g night, or more if possible , should work.

Out of the 5 bases in RNA/DNA - ACGTU- t, which is thymine, occurs only in DNA so this is the important one. Studies show RNA when given orally to rats is metabolized by the intestines, and does not make it to the liver but when DNA is given to rates, thymine makes it to the liver in significant amounts, and is used to make our actual DNA.

Solgar has a DNA/RNA supplement from yeast however it is easy to get large amounts of nucleotides just from using actual yeast.

The other high food sources are thymus gland aka sweet bread, which has around 3.2g nucleotides per 100g. After that chicken liver, then beef liver, then sheep/lamb liver. And chlorella also is at least 3% nucleotides by weight, so I will be trying that at 30g or more a day doses soon too.

Brewers/bakers yeast is sold at home brew shops, super markets, ebay, health food shops.

Hip

Note that bakers/brewers yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) has immune-stimulating effects, and thus some patients find it a little hard to tolerate.

I find Epicor, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae supplement, causes substantial increases in depression, probably via its immune activation effects.

Wishful

We turn over around 800mg of RNA/DNA a day so even 30g of yeast provides more than the amount we recycle each day. Of course we make it in the body but it is good to get extra.

It is not obvious that getting extra will be a good thing for us. Quite a few nutrients and herbal compounds that are supposed 'to be good for us!' cause an increase in my ME symptoms. It's quite possible that an excess of a nutrient can put the body into a state that causes negative effects. Until we know exactly what metabolic pathways are involved in ME and in which ways, it's not possible to state that a particular nutrient is good for us. Since we all seem to have different responses to nutrients, we have to test our individual responses to figure out which are good for us and which cause problems.

Is thymine deficiency even remotely a concern? Don't we recycle it efficiently and get plenty of extra from a normal diet?

gumman123

Yeast is natural, and has been used safely since time began as medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:

gumman123

Anyway yeast has 10 times less DNA than RNA so it is not a good source. Thymus aka sweet bread in Australia has 2.4g DNA per 100g. I got a few kgs yesterday from a butcher. It tastes nice, and sweet like the name says I guess.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@gumman123
We seem to run on parallel tracks. I used brewers yeast for abut 15 years, 3 T. first thing in the morning in a fairly disgusting home made shake that if needed, would carry me thru most of an 8 hour work day with nothing else. It was a terrific way to start the day.

And then it gradually, subtly turned on me, This was well before the ME, so can't blame that. I just assumed that I'd somehow developed an allergy to it, it left me suddenly exhausted, weak, and bleary-brained. That all cleared up when I finally figured out what was causing it, and regretfully, put the canister in the back of a cabinet.

I really miss the boost and endurance it gave me. Full of RNA, DNA, amino acids, BCAAs, B-complex, other stuff I cant remember now, all from a natural food source, not a capsule. Maybe I'll try it again down the road, but right now, anything that even hints at making me worse than I am is a no-go.

This was a personal, individual reaction, not necessarily replicatible on anyone else. If you can tolerate it, it's definitely worth a try.:thumbsup: :)

gumman123

Yeast is used world wide in bread, and supplements, and people have been eating it since time began with health benefits. It lives in our guts naturally. The 45g dose I had last night caused loose stools so will have 20g twice a day from now on, and see how that goes.

Hip

Yeast is natural, and has been used safely since time began as medicine. Any proof for anything you two just said? Otherwise that which is claimed with out evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

It's just reports I have read in the past about some ME/CFS patients having issues with Epicor.

Mary

Moderator Resource
A LARGE PORTION OF THIS THREAD HAS BEEN DELETED AS IT HAD STRAYED OFF-TOPIC. ADDITIONALLY, THERE WAS QUITE A BIT OF SARCASM AND SEVERAL PERSONAL ATTACKS, THOUGH MOST DELETED POSTS WERE OFF-TOPIC.

THE THREAD IS BEING RE-OPENED. PLEASE KEEP ALL FUTURE COMMENTS RELEVANT TO THE TITLE OF THE THREAD, AND BE CIVIL AND COURTEOUS IN YOUR COMMENTS.

Last edited:

gumman123

Yeast is well tolerated with no side effects. It is safe, effective, and cheap whole food supplement that provides protein, b vitamins, RNA/DNA, amino sugars, glycosaminoglycans, neuro transmitters, and pretty much every single other nutrient known to man.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

lafarfelue

I've experimented with nutritional yeast, and have found that it creates a hyperaroused/wired state in me.

The feeling/side effects are very similar to when I've experimented with B vitamins. My sleep is negatively affected and I grow irritable (more than from just sleeping poorly).

I wish I could eat it because I love the taste!

gumman123

I have taken yeast for years, and never had a problem with it same with billions of people through out history which is testament to how safe , and effective it is. Pharma drugs on the other hand, and expensive supplements like cod liver oil, fish oil, creatine, always caused problems for me.

Candida lives inside us.

lafarfelue

I have taken yeast for years, and never had a problem with it same with billions of people through out history which is testament to how safe , and effective it is. Pharma drugs on the other hand, and expensive supplements like cod liver oil, fish oil, creatine, always caused problems for me.

Candida lives inside us.

Glad that you as an individual don't have any issues with consuming it.

Perhaps accept that others as individuals do have issues with/from consuming it.

Best of luck

gumman123

Bakers yeast contains all the same nutrients/molecules we do. It is broken down in the digestion. Look up how we chemically digest food. It is interesting. We have enzymes, low pH, high pH to break down food into its constituents, and absorb it. Which is what happens with yeast, and every other food.Supplements for me that did cause problems were whey protein, BCAAs, cod liver oil, fish oil, creatine, magnesium, b complex, iron, glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate. These things are better gotten from food like prawns, salmon, canned cod liver, hemp seeds, yeast, liver, kidneys, bone broth, chicken feet, shark cartilage. not every can tolerate isolated vitamin supplements, and do better on healthy tasty cheap food which has kazillions of nutrients in it not just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.