• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Note: Please Don't Disregard This Thread -- Ari Whitten Videos on YouTube - Free to Watch Through Monday, Jan 15th - Highly Recommend Taking A Look

Wayne

LATEST on VIDEO AVAILABILITY -- Thursday Evening

I just started watching an Ari Whitten video on YouTube, and couldn't help but think a number of Phoenix Rising members might be interested in watching it also. I'm posting this in a new thread, because this is the first of several videos he'll be releasing in the next 11 days, after which they'll no longer be available.

The beginning of the video felt a little too drawn out and wordy for me, and I kept waiting for him to get to the "gist of things". He finally got to it at around the 27-minute mark (where the link below will take you to) when he starts talking about the critical role of the circadian rhythm. He explains it in a way that gave me a new appreciation and understanding of its importance to our daily energy levels.

Ari Whitten - The Energy Blueprint - Video 1

I did a quick search here on Phoenix Rising for Ari Whitten's name, and the primary thread where he's mentioned seemed to be the following. I only perused it for a few minutes, but there seems to be some very positive experiences being shared.

My Red/Near Infrared Light Therapy Experiment

My search also took me to a thread I started five years ago, and had put on my "back burner" since then. Since starting to watch the above linked video, I'm now wishing I'd followed up on this sooner.

ME/CFS Rarely Adrenal Fatigue - It's Far More Likely a "Cell Danger Response" by Mitochondria

I'm feeling pretty committed to watching these videos in the coming days, and thought a new thread might also spur a new round of discussion on his work, which a number of PR members are already familiar with, and probably know way more than I do at this time. @Mary @Aspen @ChrisD

@Hope_eternal -- I'm tagging you because of you'd mentioned your concern about your son being on his devices a lot, and then sometimes eating at 2:00 a.m. Perhaps your son might find some of this video interesting, and possibly a catalyst for him to modify the times he's using his devices so that it doesn't disrupt his circadian rhythm so much.

Last edited:

Hope_eternal

I just started watching an Ari Whitten video on YouTube, and couldn't help but think a number of Phoenix Rising members might be interested in watching it also. I'm posting this in a new thread, because this is the first of several videos he'll be releasing in the next 11 days, after which they'll no longer be available.

The beginning of the video felt a little too drawn out and wordy for me, and I kept waiting for him to get to the "gist of things". He finally got to it at around the 27-minute mark (where the link below will take you to) when he starts talking about the critical role of the circadian rhythm. He explains it in a way that gave me a new appreciation and understanding of its importance to our daily energy levels.

I did a quick search here on Phoenix Rising for Ari Whitten's name, and the primary thread where he's mentioned seemed to be the following. I only perused it for a few minutes, but there seems to be some very positive experiences being shared.

My Red/Near Infrared Light Therapy Experiment

My search also took me to a thread I started five years ago, and had put on my "back burner" since then. Since starting to watch the above linked video, I'm now wishing I'd followed up on this sooner.

ME/CFS Rarely Adrenal Fatigue - It's Far More Likely a "Cell Danger Response" by Mitochondria

I'm feeling pretty committed to watching these videos in the coming days, and thought a new thread might also spur a new round of discussion on his work, which a number of PR members are already familiar with, and probably know way more than I do at this time. @Mary @Aspen @ChrisD

@Hope_eternal -- I'm tagging you because of you'd mentioned your concern about your son being on his devices a lot, and then sometimes eating at 2:00 a.m. Perhaps your son might find some of this video interesting, and possibly a catalyst for him to modify the times he's using his devices so that it doesn't disrupt his circadian rhythm so much.
This is wonderful! Thank you so much for tagging me. I wholeheartedly agree about working with our circadian rhythm. Definitely have had some talks with him about it but :/ Ug he debates 😭 He says he doesn’t feel any different no matter what time he goes to sleep or how much sleep he gets. I try and explain that he probably won’t know for sure if a better sleep schedule is working until he tests it for a couple months. It’s worth a try just to rule things out. But that strong-will is real lol. It seems the only thing he won’t resist is taking supplements and meds. I don’t try and force it because I feel like it makes matters worse. You know the mom/child dynamic 🤪 I’m going to see if I can get him to listen to the videos with me. Sometimes I can get him to do that. Interestingly I had adrenal fatigue about 10 years ago and thought he might have it too because I remember feeling similar to him. I know how painful and scary that tired feeling and insomnia was. Some days it felt like death was upon me. I could barely put one foot in front of the other. So I have real sympathy for anyone going through fatigue and insomnia. It was a more than awful experience. Thanks again for including me!

Wayne

I've now watched all four of Ari Whitten's videos, and have to say I thought they were excellent. He himself suffered from chronic fatigue for quite some time, and eventually learned how to reverse things for himself. He then became motivated to create a program that others could use to reclaim their energy.

He does a nice summary in Video 4, which I'm going to leave a couple of links to. The first link is to about 4 minutes where he shares his philosophy about life and energy, or perhaps his "spiritual take". In it, he share's what motivated him to create his energy blueprint program. -- Ari's Philosophy or Spiritual Take

At the end of that four minutes, he reviews the fundamental causes of fatigue. The gist of it lasts about 6 minutes, or until the 17:30 mark. -- The Real Causes of Disease

I guess one of the reasons I liked these videos so much is because he's literally brimming with energy. Plus he's articulate and easy to follow. Also, he clearly seems passionate about sharing what he's learned. Some might say he's just trying to sell his energy blueprint program, but I really got the impression he feels this is his life's work.

Anyway, below are the links to the four videos. They'll be available until Monday night (January 15th). I would love to see them stay up permanently on YouTube. As I mentioned in the title of this thread, I highly recommend checking this out, even if you can only manage to watch the 10 minutes at the above two links. -- @Hope_eternal

Ari Whitten - The Energy Blueprint - Video 2

Ari Whitten - The Energy Blueprint - Video 3

Ari Whitten - The Energy Blueprint - Video 4

Last edited:
Ive been listening to Ari Whitten’s Energy Blueprint podcast for the past few years. Although I find some of his interviews to be valuable for overall health and longevity standpoint, I think he is missing the point on some very fundamental characteristics of ME/CFS.

Hes a longevity guy LARPing as someone who has all the answers to mitochondrial diseases. But I feel ME/CFS is far more complicated than just fixing mitos.

In addition, Over the dozens of podcasts Ive listened to, Ive picked up on a certain tone that I find upsetting, especially coming from someone who had some flavor of the illness at one point. My personal experience listening to him, he tends to carry the opinion that ME/CFS patients are overly fearful of exercise and physical movement.

You can tell he has a sort of resentment towards this type of characteristic in a patient, which I feel could be out of frustration of failing to treat ME/CFS patients and potentially blaming it on their aversion to physical movement / and triggering PEM.

I think his whole outlook on mitochondria is great, and agree that cellular stress is important in maintaining mitochondria, but for how much he talks about energy and fatigue, I dont think any of his research and findings really serve this particular illness. He tends to look at it with a certain lense that I feel is harmful to the community as a whole, because he again, doesn’t acknowledge the complexity of the illness, and how PEM and cellular stress can often times cause deterioration even in the smallest amount, depending on the patient.

That being said, im sure there are plenty of great take aways for mito health, but much of them I imagine are about inducing cellular stress at some level.

Ive been listening to Ari Whitten’s Energy Blueprint podcast for the past few years. Although I find some of his interviews to be valuable for overall health and longevity standpoint, I think he is missing the point on some very fundamental characteristics of ME/CFS.

Hes a longevity guy LARPing as someone who has all the answers to mitochondrial diseases. But I feel ME/CFS is far more complicated than just fixing mitos.

In addition, Over the dozens of podcasts Ive listened to, Ive picked up on a certain tone that I find upsetting, especially coming from someone who had some flavor of the illness at one point. My personal experience listening to him, he tends to carry the opinion that ME/CFS patients are overly fearful of exercise and physical movement.

You can tell he has a sort of resentment towards this type of characteristic in a patient, which I feel could be out of frustration of failing to treat ME/CFS patients and potentially blaming it on their aversion to physical movement / and triggering PEM.

I think his whole outlook on mitochondria is great, and agree that cellular stress is important in maintaining mitochondria, but for how much he talks about energy and fatigue, I dont think any of his research and findings really serve this particular illness. He tends to look at it with a certain lense that I feel is harmful to the community as a whole, because he again, doesn’t acknowledge the complexity of the illness, and how PEM and cellular stress can often times cause deterioration even in the smallest amount, depending on the patient.

That being said, im sure there are plenty of great take aways for mito health, but much of them I imagine are about inducing cellular stress at some level.
Good balanced response, I feel much the same way

Wayne

I find some of his interviews to be valuable for overall health and longevity standpoint
Hi @Omgitsremy89 -- Thanks for chiming in. It sounds like you've listened to him a lot, and are far more familiar with the totality of his work than I am. I haven't run across some of the attitudes you're concerned about, but I'll keep an open mind as I continue to explore his work.

I highlighted the part of your post where you mention the value of his overall health and longevity standpoint. What I've learned in all my research over many years is that it's important to "pick and choose" the things that are offered by anybody, whether a health care practitioner, a fellow Phoenix Rising member, or somebody like Ari Whitten.

I just don't believe anybody will ever have the full answers to what we may or may not need. So we need to learn to be discriminating, not only about the information that we're looking at, but to the attitudes they may have about what they're saying. Even correct information can be delivered with an uncomfortable vibe.

For now, I'm finding great value in Ari's work. It appears he's spent years doing the kind of research that is in many ways quite relevant to what we're dealing with. I think he's distilled that knowledge base quite well, and is able to articulate it in a pretty easy to understand format. Really quite a skill in my mind.

So like with everything else I run across, I'll take what I feel has value, and discard (or ignore) that which doesn't resonate with me--at this time. So far, I consider these videos to be quite a find. -- Thanks again for chiming in!

Rufous McKinney

and potentially blaming it on their aversion to physical movement / and triggering PEM.

I"m back in my n=1 experiment.

I'm moving around far far more than I was previously doing. You might say I'm in an ongoing GET experiment.

I am living in a much larger house, with my two young granddaughters, my daughter, her husband at times, and nurses and a house keeper.

So what are the positive aspects of the last four months?

my lymph system is less clogged up/ swollen lymph glands are less swollen. Moving around more, simply helps the lymph; I have low grade lymphoma, so thats a plus.

Negatives: rolling PEM. It's just somewhat ongoing and continuous and not lifting and there has not been a "Good Day" in many many weeks.

@Wayne , absolutely. My comment was not meant to discourage anyone from delving into his research, platform and these videos. And maybe this thread wasnt a fair venue to express my opinions about his platform, because what you shared I find highly valuable.

I agree, its important to use your best judgement when listening to everyone, but I feel Ari whitten misrepresents himself as an psuedo-authority in ME/CFS by constantly talking about the disease and basing all his research around mitochondria and the symptom of ‘Chronic Fatigue’. When he does not acknowledge the failed GET trials and patients real life experiences.

@Rufous McKinney this is fascinating and very courageous of you.

Im looking to incorporate more movement ever since reading this reddit thread about a German exercise Physiology MD, Dr. Perikles Simon, who has been researching long covid and ME/CFS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cfs/s/U2F2NMb5Ul

General summary is hes finding that long covid patients are able to safely exert themselves as long as its within the anaerobic window of 30 seconds. Anything more causes muscle damage due to lack of oxygen. Patients have to follow this with atleast 30 seconds of rest.

I also want to add, in contrast to Ari Whitten, I feel completely seen by this MD/professor because he insists that GET is harmful and proves it in his research on LC patients and how it results in a lowering of their baseline.

This style of pacing may help your N=1. I intend to implement it slowly myself.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

@Rufous McKinney this is fascinating and very courageous of you.
what feels like many years ago, I decided since I was going on a trip soon, I needed to walk more.

I decided to do this walk around the block (OK< on day 1)

the mistake was I walked again, on Day 2 (harder)

On Day 3, I only got 50 feet. And ran onto a friend who chatted to me, as I stood there. The ground was beckoning, it beckons all the time (do not stand up for this long, do not just stand here, this is not good)
So that was 20 minutes.

I went home and crashed for many months.

I really didn't' think that would happen.

Rufous McKinney

General summary is hes finding that long covid patients are able to safely exert themselves as long as its within the anaerobic window of 30 seconds. Anything more causes muscle damage due to lack of oxygen. Patients have to follow this with atleast 30 seconds of rest.

will be trying to do more of these very small and very short: physical things. Thanks for that reinforcement.